how do I release an anchored cell?

  1. #1
    DarrellGSF
    Guest

    how do I release an anchored cell?

    Periodically, my cursor gets anchored in a cell of an Excel spreadsheet and
    when I attempt to move the cursor, I can't get the cursor released. The
    mouse is then useless to choose any option needed to get out of the
    spreadsheet. Using task manager to exit the task, I'm finally told that "you
    can't quit Excel." I finally get out of it, however, unless I entirely
    reboot my computer, any further use of Excel results in the same thing
    happening. Any suggestions

  2. #2
    exceluserforeman
    Guest

    RE: how do I release an anchored cell?

    Maybe a bug but press the escape key the next time it happens or press the
    enter key.

  3. #3
    DarrellGSF
    Guest

    RE: how do I release an anchored cell?

    I've tried both...even tried to key in characters or use the space bar. When
    it jams, it renders the cursor unuseable. thanks.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: how do I release an anchored cell?

    Try pressing the F8 key. You may be in Extended Mode.

    Do you see EXT down on the status bar?

    If using a wheelie mouse, try pressing the wheel down and up a couple of times.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    DarrellGSF
    Guest

    Re: how do I release an anchored cell?

    Thanks, next time it happens, I will try that. I don't currently see EXT on
    the status bar but will keep that in mind.