Referencing a Merged cell

  1. #1
    Mariano
    Guest

    Referencing a Merged cell

    Often on one of my workbooks I need to reference a cell from either another
    workbook or worksheet. I usually have both workbooks open so I just hit the
    equal sign and click on the cell i want referenced. However when I do that
    when I am trying to reference a merged cell it automaticall pulls up a range
    of both of the merged cells and retuns a #value.
    Is there anyway to click on it and actually have it pull up a single cell
    instead of creating something like?:
    Sheet2!A1:B1

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Referencing a Merged cell

    I can't repro this problem. I tried Excel 97 through 2003 since you didn't
    mention your version.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Referencing a Merged cell

    Not that I know of, although you can always adjust it afterwards.

    Just another problem with merged cells.

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4

    Re: Referencing a Merged cell

    I just tried this in xl2003 and the formula that excel build just used one
    cell.

    But the way excel treats merged cells has changed since xl97.

    Until you upgrade, maybe you could just backspace after selecting that merged
    area????

    (Not a pretty solution, huh?)

  5. #5
    Mariano
    Guest

    RE: Referencing a Merged cell

    sorry, it is version 2002.
    I have been just using the backspace.
    Which works fine for my personal use, but a few other people will be using
    this who have very little experience with excel.
    Perhaps I will just have to try and keep these cells seperate.