Find/Search in Formulas - won't find phrase after copying/renaming sheet/book

  1. #1
    GR
    Guest

    Find/Search in Formulas - won't find phrase after copying/renaming sheet/book

    I have two workbooks - one with data downloaded from an external source
    into a sheet for each of the 12 months - another with sheets that refer
    to that data and perform calulations, etc. for each month. I need to
    create two new sheets to use in 2006 instead of 2005, so I want to
    rename the workbooks, the sheets, and all the references in the cells -
    basically just replace 2005 with 2006 at all levels.

    I did a <Save As> for each workbook with the new year in the name, and
    went into the data workbook and renamed the <Jan05> sheet to <Jan06>.
    Then I went into the calculation workbook to the Jan sheet, pulled up
    the <Replace> dialog (making sure the <look in> menu was set to
    <formulas> and the <match entire cell> box is unchecked) and entered
    the phrase '[2005 Data.xls]Jan05' in the <look for> box and '[2006
    Data.xls]Jan06' in the <replace with> box.

    Excel says it cannot find it. I have checked to be sure there are no
    typos, spaces added/omitted, etc. but can't figure out why it won't
    find it. I tried opening up the original 2005 workbook and the same is
    true - it can't find the '[2005 Data.xls]Jan05' phrase either.
    Interestingly, if I go in and manually change one of the occurrences in
    one of the cells, then it CAN find the occurrences IN THAT MODIFIED
    CELL ONLY. Weird.

    An example of the contents of the cell where it should be able to find
    the phrase is:

    =IF(OR(ISBLANK('Mac HD:Users:geoffreyrenk:Documents:WORD
    Documents:Schedules:Sign in data & Files:[2005
    Data.xls]Jan05'!$A2),'Mac HD:Users:geoffreyrenk:Documents:WORD
    Documents:Schedules:Sign in data & Files:[2005 Data.xls]Jan05'!$E2="PA
    Shift"),"",'Mac HD:Users:geoffreyrenk:Documents:WORD
    Documents:Schedules:Sign in data & Files:[2005 Data.xls]Jan05'!$A2)

    Any ideas?

    GR

  2. #2

    Re: Find/Search in Formulas - won't find phrase after copying/renamingsheet/book

    Just a guess.

    Did you include the leading and trailing apostrophes when you did the
    edit|Replace.

    '[2005 Data.xls]Jan05'

    Or was that just in the post?

    If you did include them, try it without including them.