Auto filling cells across mutliple sheets

  1. #1

    Auto filling cells across mutliple sheets

    Hi,

    I am creating a customer database in a Excel 2000 pro workbook. It comprises
    of multiple worksheets each containing a different companies details (branc
    hes, phone numbers, etc). I have ensured that in all sheets column A is a nu
    meric field and that each row has a unique number in this column (unique acr
    oss all sheets).

    Where I have got "stuck" is that I want to create a additional worksheet in
    which I can manually designate a number in a cell (column A) and excel will automatical
    ly fill the remaining cells in that row from whichever sheet the number corr
    esponds.

    Help please.....

  2. #2

    Re: Auto filling cells across mutliple sheets

    It sounds like you could use =vlookup().

    You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
    and
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

  3. #3

    Fixed

    Thanks Dave,

    Problem resolved

  4. #4

    Ok, now the next problem...........

    Right, I now have vlookup working on the workbook (thanks Dave), however this has now created 2 further problems for me......

    1. How do I get vlookup to check several worksheets within a workbook for results, at the moment I can only get the table array to look at 1 worksheet per vlookup cell. ie each of my customers is on a different worksheet.

    2. How do I configure my "results" sheet to list multiple results for a search? ie Column 1 contains a unique number for each customer, column 2 contains a numeric area code (eg area 23 = SW England) and there may be several customers in that area. I want to be able to search by either customer number (vlookup seems to do this ok) OR area number (multiple possible results)..........

  5. #5

    Re: Auto filling cells across mutliple sheets

    #1. Without knowing how your worksheets are set up, you'll need separate
    formulas that point to the other sheets.

    If you have a cell that contains the worksheet name/customer name, you can embed
    that into the =vlookup() formula using =indirect().

    Say you have sheet names in row B1:E1 and you want to retrieve the value from
    the sheet name in D1, you could use a formula like:

    =VLOOKUP(A2,INDIRECT("'"&D$1&"'!a:e"),3,FALSE)

    #2. =vlookup() will return the first match that it finds. You may be able to
    use data|filter|autofilter to see the data when you have multiple results to
    find.

    If I want all the results to show up in a single cell, I use a user defined
    function:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...28f1ba868980a8

    or

    http://snipurl.com/i7q1

    The values come back separated by commas.

    (There are instructions in that link that tell how to use it.)

  6. #6

    Sorted :-)

    Thanks again Dave.....