Extracting <Title> tags from web pages into worksheet ...

  1. #1

    Extracting <Title> tags from web pages into worksheet ...

    Hello all,

    I have a list of URLs that I generate through Excel, and I want to
    capture the title tags of these URLs in the next column. Has anyone got
    any suggestions on how to about doing this? (ideally without VBA
    intervention ... ;-) )

    I first tried using the Web Query function of Excel, but this doesn't
    appear to allow you to use cell references as the target URL to
    download.

    Any thoughts, or is this time where I need to dust off my Perl skills?

    Thanks in advance.

    RM

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Extracting <Title> tags from web pages into worksheet ...

    On 1 Feb 2006 03:58:41 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I have a list of URLs that I generate through Excel, and I want to
    >capture the title tags of these URLs in the next column. Has anyone got
    >any suggestions on how to about doing this? (ideally without VBA
    >intervention ... ;-) )
    >
    >I first tried using the Web Query function of Excel, but this doesn't
    >appear to allow you to use cell references as the target URL to
    >download.
    >
    >Any thoughts, or is this time where I need to dust off my Perl skills?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >RM

    If I understand what you want correctly, you could use regular expressions as
    an excel worksheet function if you download and install Longre's free
    morefunc.xll add-in from http://xcell05.free.fr

    Look at the various REGEX. functions in that add-in.

    They use a very similar construction to those in Perl.

    --ron