Formula to return numerical, text result?

  1. #1

    Formula to return numerical, text result?

    I need to create a formula that based upon three possible factors, will return one of two calculations or a text message.

    If cell B="Good", the formula in cell C returns "Text"
    If cell B="Better", the formula in cell C returns cell A*.3
    If cell B="Best", the formula in cell C returns cell A*.5

    Thanks in advance for any tips!

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Formula to return numerical, text result?

    =IF(B1="Good","Text",IF(B1="Better",A1*0.3,IF(B1="Best",A1*0.5,"error")))
    copy down column
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "burgeon" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Formula to return numerical, text result?

    =IF(B1="good","Text",IF(B1="better",A1*0.3,IF(B1="best",A1*0.5,"")))

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Thank you, gracias...

  5. #5
    Bruce Sinclair
    Guest

    Case statement ? - to replace nested ifs ?

    In article <[email protected]>, "Bernard Liengme" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >=IF(B1="Good","Text",IF(B1="Better",A1*0.3,IF(B1="Best",A1*0.5,"error")))
    >copy down column

    After yet another requirement for nested ifs to do something kind of
    simple, it occurs to me that XL could really benefit from something like a
    case statement.
    That would effectively remove the need for nested ifs and make the selection
    process far simpler and easier to read and understand.

    What do people think ... and is there any chance that xl could get this
    added in the near future ?
    Or is there something out there already donig this sort of thing ?

    Thanks

    Bruce

    (if there were any)