huge huge excel file... why?

  1. #1
    Josh
    Guest

    huge huge excel file... why?

    i have an excel file that is 171 MB, I don't understand why... I removed the
    autoformatting I thought might have been the problem, but it's still the same
    size. It also takes an extremely long time to save my progress, to open or
    close, and it sometimes pauses every ten or so rows when I'm scrolling to set
    the print area. It shouldn't be that big- There are 5 sheets, each is between
    400 and 500 rows, and there's only ten columns. What's going on? Thanks for
    any help.
    --
    Josh

  2. #2

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    I think I would open that huge file and just copy all the cells in each
    worksheet to a new worksheet in a new workbook.

    I wouldn't waste too much time trying to fix the old--just create a new one.

    This may sound simple, but it might not be. Watch out for formulas, named
    ranges, named anything, VBA code, headers/footers, filters, and anything else
    you can think of.

    But it sure sounds easier than trying to fix that 171MB file.

  3. #3
    Josh
    Guest

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    I think it may be a formula I accidently put in there somewhere. Sometimes
    when I cut and paste from one column into another, a message pops up and says
    "your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify
    path, workbook and range name or cell reference are correct and try again". I
    do have formulas on the other sheets of the workbook, but there shouldnt be
    any on this sheet and I can't find any sign of a formula on this page. I did
    a control f search within the sheet, and it didn't find anything. I tried
    copying the data into a new workbook, but it was still a ridiculously huge
    file. Thenks for your earlier atempt, do you have any other suggestions?
    Thanks again, --
    Josh

  4. #4

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

    and to make working with names easier...

    I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name
    Manager to search for any hidden names.

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

    But I don't see how that could make a 171MB file.

  5. #5
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    Do CTRL-END and see where your cursor lands up - this is where Excel
    thinks the last cell is, but you might find it is way beyond your data
    area. In this case, highlight all the blank columns in your sheet (i.e.
    from column K to IV) and Edit | Delete (not just delete contents), then
    do the same for the blank rows (500 to 65536) and again Edit | Delete.
    Then save your file, close and re-open - Excel should have recovered
    the "lost" memory.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  6. #6
    Josh
    Guest

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    Pete, thanks for the reply. I've tried deleting all the columns and rows not
    occupied by my data, but after I do this, ctrl end still leaves me at IV
    65536. Also, although my computer permitted me to do this for one sheet, when
    I tried on the other sheets, a window popped up warning that there wasn't
    enough memory to do the task, and asked if I wanted it to continue without
    being able to undo (I didn't). I'm going to try what Pete suggested next,
    but I don't really know what to use find link or find name programs for, or
    exactly why and how I'd use these. Again, thanks for the help, and any more
    advice would be greatly appreciated.
    --
    Josh

  7. #7
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    I think Dave's first suggestion, then, is the next course of action.
    Highlight only the cells with data/formulae in them and copy them to
    another sheet in a new file. If you have any formulae which refer to
    other sheets in the first (big) file, they will refer back to that, but
    if you rename all the sheets in the new workbook to be the same as in
    the old one, you can then do Edit | Replace to change the
    "[old_filename.xls]" with nothing to get them to point to the correct
    sheet. Save the new file with a different name and it should be a
    slimmer version.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  8. #8

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    Another way to fix those links would be to save the new workbook and use
    Edit|links.

    Or I like to change my formulas to text
    edit|replace
    what: = (equal sign)
    with: $$$$$=
    replace all

    Do the copy|paste and then reverse the process.
    Edit|replace
    what: $$$$$=
    with: =
    replace all

  9. #9
    Josh
    Guest

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    I tried the ctrl end suggestion again, and it worked perfectly. Everything
    runs very smoothly now, and the entire file is 400 kb or so. Thanks a trill,
    you really helped me out.
    --
    Josh

  10. #10
    the only option i see under edit is 'delete sheet' ...and whole sheet goes....how to just delete the extra columns or rows?

  11. #11
    Josh
    Guest

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    you have to click and drag your mouse over the column header or range of
    cells you want to delete, then click edit, delete.
    --
    Josh

  12. #12

    again

    my file is still huge.....only around 100 kb difference total......i did what was indicicated.....wherever my cursor landed up at IV column and very down (65536th row)....i selected the columns from their headers....went to edit and then delete.......and same for the rows........how come not much difference like others experienced here.

    help pls

  13. #13
    Josh
    Guest

    Re: huge huge excel file... why?

    remember to close excel after you've deleted the rows and columns. I tried
    deleting everything and then doing ctrl end right afterward, I found it
    wouldn't work untill I closed the program and then reopened it.
    --
    Josh