date default error after 1999

  1. #1
    Mollyb
    Guest

    date default error after 1999

    Date format mmm-yy changes entries to mmm-06 for any date after 1999, as does
    month-yy and m-yy. All dates prior to 12/31/99 work correctly in these three
    formats. All other date formats work correctly. Is a setting off
    somewhere?

  2. #2
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: date default error after 1999

    Date formats work correctly in the 21st century. That's not your problem. I
    suspect you have the wrong underlying date. Display your date in full using
    mm/dd/yyyy, so you can make sure it's correct.

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mollyb
    Guest

    Re: date default error after 1999

    Thanks, Fred. mm/dd/yyy and all formats except the three short month/year
    combinations work perfectly. I tried each format with dates pre and post
    1999 and todays date. I've gone to one of the other staff's computers (each
    has it's own software rather than using a network version), and still get
    exactly the same problem. My nurse practitioner really does want the short
    version because patients frequently can't remember specific dates. Any
    other ideas or suggestions?

    Molly

  4. #4

    Re: date default error after 1999

    Select one of the cells that don't work correctly.

    What do you see in the formulabar?

    If you put this into an empty cell:
    =isnumber(x99)
    (change x99 to the cell that holds the problem date)
    what do you get back?

  5. #5
    Mollyb
    Guest

    Re: date default error after 1999

    Dave,

    The problem isn't cell specific - seems to be unique to those three formats.
    I took some cells, formatted the date in various ways, including the three
    that I'm having problems with, entered the =isnumber(x99) and each time the
    answer returned was FALSE. What is that telling me?

    Thanks.

    Molly

  6. #6

    Re: date default error after 1999

    That's telling you that the value in that cell isn't a date. It's text
    masquerading as a date.

    And since numberformats don't affect text, that's the problem.

    Try formatting the cell as general and typing in the date one more time.

    Then you should be able to format it as a date.

  7. #7
    Mollyb
    Guest

    Re: date default error after 1999

    You're a genius! It works! Thanks so much.

    Molly

  8. #8

    Re: date default error after 1999

    Glad you got it working!