Financial planning - Excel 2000

  1. #1

    Financial planning - Excel 2000

    I'm making a souped-up cheque-balancing spreadsheet for planning how
    much I can save and spend on my limited student's allowance.

    First there is a sheet with nine tables of various recurring and
    non-recurring incomes and expenditures.

    Then a sheet that translates those to rows with date, description,
    debit, credit

    Then a table that has rows of all days's dated from now until 2010,
    with nine rows per date and details filled in from the previous sheet,
    but with most of the entried blank.

    Finally, what I want to do but am stuck on is to consolidate that sheet
    to another that just has the rows with items so that I can add columns
    with running totals. I would like to be able to add daily transactions
    to that sheet... but I suppose that I could add another table to the
    first sheet for that.

    I could do this manually by making a column that has the row number of
    valid rows and is otherwise blank and sorting the sheet by that column,
    but I'm looking for an automatic method so that any change in the first
    table propagates automatically through to the last.

    If I could conditionally hide the blank rows.... but I can't find a way
    to do that.

    Any advice appreciated.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Financial planning - Excel 2000

    Hi

    I'm not sure that I fully understand your structure, but the simple
    answer to your final question
    >If I could conditionally hide the blank rows.... but I can't find a way
    >to do that.

    would be to use Data>Filter>Autofilter.
    Use the dropdown on appropriate column to select Non Blanks
    Take a look at the Subtotal() function.
    For example =SUBTOTAL(9,$D$2:$D$1000) will total just the visible
    (filtered) rows in that range.

    But I don't think I would tackle your problem this way, allowing for 9
    items of income or expenditure for each day from now till 2010.
    What if you have more than 9 on any given day? What a waste of space
    when there will be days with nil or single transactions.
    Just enter all your data as it happens. By all means enter now, all
    known future transactions that are going to happen.
    Then create a Pivot Table to provide your report, with Year as a page
    filed, Month as a Row field and Income and Expenditure as Data Fields.

    For instruction on how to set up and use Pivot Tables, take a look at
    Debra Dalgleish's site
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
    Scroll to the section on Pivot Tables

    --