Referencing numbers

  1. #1

    Referencing numbers

    I have a s/sheet set up where I want to average percentages.

    I have 3 columns

    1 where actual percentages are entered
    2 where a number (1-5) is entered - no other numbers should be allowed
    3 the total column that works out the overall percentage

    I can do parts 1 and 3 not a problem.

    I'm struggling with part 2 in terms of getting those numbers, 1-5 to be converted to percentages that I want.

    I need :-

    1 to equal 0%
    2 = 25%
    3 = 50%
    4 = 75%
    5 = 100%

    How do I do that and additionally, how do I ensure that the user can ONLY input 1-5 in that particular column.

    Once I can get the percentages for column 2, I can then average that and column 1 into column 3.

    Any help would be most welcome.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    Im not entirely clear but to change 1 to 5 to your percentages

    (number-1)/4 should surfice

    eg (a1-1)/4 if the number is in cell a1

    if you select the cells go to data, validation and choose allow whole number between 1 and 5 that should do the validation

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    Thanks mate

    That seems to have done the trick. Cheers

    One thing that gets me though is this..........

    sometimes in column 3 there will not be a value..........and so my formula......

    =AVERAGE((E18:G18), ((I18-1)/4))

    Where E18 is column1, G18 is column 2 and the other bit is the converting the whole number to a percentage..........

    in one instance I have 100& in col1, 0% in col2 but I dont have a value in column 3. The true average should be 50%, yet excel is taking column 3 as 0% and then averaging to 25%.

    Any workarounds ?

  4. #4
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: Referencing numbers

    You can use data validation to limit the value in the column to 1 through 5
    and the following formula will return your percentage based upon a number 1
    through 5, where the number is in Cell A1.
    1 2 3 4 5
    =CHOOSE(A1,0,0.25,0.5,0.75,1)

    Click DATA in the menu and select DATA VALIDATION. In the SETTINGS tab,
    select WHOLE NUMBER and set the minimum value to 1 and the maximum value to
    5. Optionally, you can add an error alert message if the user enters a value
    less than 1 or greater than 5 by clicking on the ERROR ALERT tab and adding
    message text.
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  5. #5
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Referencing numbers

    To allow only whole numbers 1-5:
    1. Data->Validation
    2. Select Whole Number
    3. Select Between
    4. insert 1 in Minimum
    5. insert 5 in Maximum

    you can't actually convert the number to a percentage automatically (without
    using code that is), but you can have column 3 treat it as a percentage. You
    might be able to use something like this formula.

    =(A1+(A2-1)*0.25)/2

  6. #6
    Thanks ever so much.

    That worked a treat, if not being a really long winded formula.

    Much obliged.

    Keep well