numeric value is not formatting correctly

  1. #1
    Fam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    numeric value is not formatting correctly

    Hello everybody,
    I have one small problem. Hope someone can shed some light on.
    I'm using =LEFT(A2,5) fuction to extract some numeric values. Once the value
    is extracted in different cell (let say C2), the value in C2 is not
    formatting correctly. And what I mean by that is that the $ sign or "," is
    not applicable to format the extracted value. Yes, once you over write it, it
    will format like $ 23.00 but you have to overwite it. Now I have atleast over
    a thousand rows and it will take lot of time if I have to do cell by cell. Is
    there is way that I can highlight the extracted values and somehow able to
    format correctly?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Fam

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: numeric value is not formatting correctly

    Hi

    Try this. Copy an empty, unused cell. Select the range of 'numbers' and then
    Edit/Paste Special/Add
    Make a backup before you start!

    Hope this helps.
    Andy.

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: numeric value is not formatting correctly

    That is because the LEFT function returns text: you may have 23.00 but it is
    still text made up of digits.
    To coerce a numeric value you need to 'do some math' on the result. So any
    of these work:
    =--LEFT(A2,5) 'preferred
    =LEFT(A2,5)*1
    =LEFT(A2,5)+0
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  4. #4
    Fam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: numeric value is not formatting correctly

    Andy, thanks for the reponse.
    I did not get it. Can you please eloborate little more?
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Fam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: numeric value is not formatting correctly

    Thank you guys.
    It worked perfectly.