Export notepad file to Excel

  1. #1
    Carrie
    Guest

    Export notepad file to Excel

    I have a text file in Notepad that I need to export to an Excel file, keeping
    columns etc. Is there a way to do this?

  2. #2
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Export notepad file to Excel

    "Carrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have a text file in Notepad that I need to export to an Excel file,
    >keeping
    > columns etc. Is there a way to do this?

    In Excel, use File, Open to open your text file. The next thing you'll see
    is the Text Import Wizard dialog box. Assuming your columns are only
    separated by white space (no commas, etc), select "Fixed Width". This may
    already be selected, since Excel does a fairly good job of guessing. Click
    Next. At the bottom of the next dialog box, you'll see a sample of your
    actual text, with vertical lines placed where Excel thinks the columns
    should be separated. Move the lines if necessary. For columns 2, 3 etc, you
    want the lines exactly to the left of the first character of each column.

    Stop back here if you have any problems (with this - we can't help with your
    tax return). :-)

  3. #3
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Export notepad file to Excel

    Hi Carrie. The fields, columns in Excel, in your text file in notepad need
    to be delimited by something - comma, semicolon, space, tab. To export to
    Excel, open Excel and click on Open and select the notepad file. Follow the
    text file import dialog instructions. HTH
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin