Global criteria update for formulas?

  1. #1
    Annabelle
    Guest

    Global criteria update for formulas?

    Is there a function similar to FIND / REPLACE for formulas? I have 56
    places where I need to change the year in the formula from 2005 to
    2006. Any help would be appreciated.

    =SUMPRODUCT(--('Acme Invoices'!$F$6:$F$500="IET"),--('Acme
    Invoices'!$J$6:$J$500="January 2005"),'Acme Invoices'!$K$6:$K$500)

  2. #2
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Global criteria update for formulas?

    Find/Replace works in formulas as well as constants. Select the cells
    you need to change (Ctrl-click if the cells are not contiguous) and
    then call up Find/Replace and tell it what to do.

    To make life easier in the future, you could put the year in a separate
    cell and have your formulas refer to them. If this cell was A1, you
    would change

    "January 2005"

    in the formula you gave to

    "January "&A1

    (note the space after January). Then, when you change A1 (or whichever
    cell you use), all your formulas update automatically.

    I haven't tested this, but it should work. Try it on a single formula
    to test it.

  3. #3
    Annabelle
    Guest

    Re: Global criteria update for formulas?

    An excellent suggested solution. Thank you for your help.

  4. #4
    Brian Handly

    Mark Lincoln wrote:
    > Find/Replace works in formulas as well as constants. Select the cells
    > you need to change (Ctrl-click if the cells are not contiguous) and
    > then call up Find/Replace and tell it what to do.
    >
    > To make life easier in the future, you could put the year in a separate
    > cell and have your formulas refer to them. If this cell was A1, you
    > would change
    >
    > "January 2005"
    >
    > in the formula you gave to
    >
    > "January "&A1
    >
    > (note the space after January). Then, when you change A1 (or whichever
    > cell you use), all your formulas update automatically.
    >
    > I haven't tested this, but it should work. Try it on a single formula
    > to test it.

    You could also place it in a named constant, see Insert | Create

    Texas Handly