find text in column h and total the corresponding numbers if colum

  1. #1
    adelaide
    Guest

    find text in column h and total the corresponding numbers if colum

    hello
    i am a total newb to macros/vb.
    my problem is . Weekly I receive a speadsheet in which column H contains
    randomly entered words depicting work performed by an individual in different
    areas of their work. in column D is the total amount of time taken for that
    piece of work.

    I wish to search column H for a specific string and then total the
    corresponding entry in column d to work out how much time was spent on the
    searched for item.
    make sense?
    can anyone help me with this?
    thank you in anticipation.

  2. #2
    Michael M
    Guest

    RE: find text in column h and total the corresponding numbers if colum

    Hi Adelaide
    Try
    =SUMIF(Column H,"my word",Column D)
    Where Column H is your data range for text
    "My Word" is the text string
    and Column D is your range to be summed.
    You can put this formula any where you like or in a macro

    HTH
    Michael

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    If you want to see 1 total for the item in column H which might have more than 1 entry - then I would try the following: Enter the following in Cell I1 or any other blank cell. Replace the "XXXXXX" what you want to look for.
    This will only work if the cell contains only the "Text" you want to find, (i.e Apples, it will not work if the cell is "APPLES10")
    =SUMIF(H:H,"XXXXXX",D:D).
    If you want to "Know what cell contains your text, and have it indicate it in column I then you can use the following formula - enter into cell I1 and copy down as far as you need to go.
    =IF(H1="XXXXXX",D1)
    If it somethin else you might need to give more information of how Column H is setup and how you want to "Total" Column D.