Is it possible to highlight text?

  1. #1
    Boe
    Guest

    Is it possible to highlight text?

    I'd like to highlight just some of the text in a cell - not the entire
    thing.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    Select the cell and in the edit bar you can then select (highlight)
    some of the text with the mouse and format how you wish, eg bold,
    different colour, different background colour, different font/font size
    etc.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    This will NOT work in a formula. Works only if all text.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Boe
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    Thank you

  5. #5
    Boe
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    Thanks

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Boe
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    I know that it may be smacking me in the face but I don't see an option for
    highlight - I am running Excel 2003 - I do see the cell fill and bold and
    underline but nothing for text highlight.
    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    You can click anywhere in the edit bar and the cursor will be placed at
    that point. Then you can hold the mouse button down while moving the
    cursor, or you can hold <SHIFT> down while pressing the <arrow> keys
    (more precise). Once you have higlighted the text you want in this way,
    just click on the formatting features you wish (colour, bold etc).

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  8. #8
    Boe
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    Ahh - I see why my question is not clear. I want to format text as
    HIGHLIGHTED - like the markers you used in college to bring attention to a
    particular sentence or term.

  9. #9
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    Well, you want something like a pale yellow or pale green background
    colour. Select your portion of the text as described above, then select
    the background colour you want for this part of the text. You might
    want to set the foreground as bold to stand out more.

    Pete

  10. #10
    Boe
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    How do I select the background color for that portion of the text?

  11. #11
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    I've just tried to do it and discovered that Excel will not allow you
    to change the background colour for a portion of the text - sorry for
    misleading you. You can, however, change foreground colour and
    bold/italic/underline effects etc, so you will have to emphasise your
    partial text this way.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  12. #12
    Boe
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to highlight text?

    At least I know why I was having such a hard time figuring out how to do it.