layout

  1. #1
    JB
    Guest

    layout

    Hi.
    I've created a spread sheet that contains a very long list going across in
    columns , dates going down in rows.
    For easy data input, I've shaded every second column in yellow.
    The problem is, if at some stage, I need to insert a new column, I end up
    with either 2 clear columns or 2 yellow ones (depending where I insert it),
    then have to spend ages rearranging all the columns to have alternate
    colours.
    Also if I need to paste or move the contents of a cell, it takes the shade
    with it, which is fine if you're putting it in a cell with the same colour.
    Am I making sense?
    I'd like to know how to keep the colour layout no matter. What I do. Is that
    possible?
    Thank you

  2. #2

    Re: layout

    If you're not using Format|Conditional formatting, you could do this:

    Select all the columns you want shaded

    format|conditional formatting|formula is:
    =mod(column(),2)=1

    Give it a nice format and click ok.

  3. #3
    JB
    Guest

    Re: layout

    Thanks!!
    Now I get to be creative.
    Tried all sorts of combinations to get my 2white 2yellow then finally
    bingo!
    (shame one can't paste the formula coz it did take forever to keep typing in
    till I got it right)

    =mod(column(),4)=2
    Add
    =mod(column(),4)=3

    You'd think it would be 2)=2 ? for every 2nd put 2 yellows but hey whatever.

    Thanks tons
    Jen

    I managed to do but the formatting didn't make sense
    news:[email protected]...