Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

How do I create an automatic 'date last updated' reference?

  1. #1
    ajames
    Guest

    How do I create an automatic 'date last updated' reference?

    I would like to create a function that automatically returns the current date
    if certain other specific cells are edited, i.e. it is a reference to the
    last time cells on that row were updated.

    Please help??

  2. #2

    Re: How do I create an automatic 'date last updated' reference?

    J.E. McGimpsey shows a way to put a time stamp on the same row when something
    changes:

  3. #3
    YesPee
    Guest

    Re: How do I create an automatic 'date last updated' reference?

    Just Type, where you want

    =now()

    sp_prabhakaran(at)yahoo.com

    --
    YesPee
    YesPee's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m898

  4. #4
    ajames
    Guest

    Re: How do I create an automatic 'date last updated' reference?

    Thanks both of you, but neither options seem to update the date when (and
    only when) the data in another cell is changed. For example, I would like
    cell A3 to display the last date that cell A1 or A2 was updated.

  5. #5

    How do I create an automatic "date last updated" reference?

    I had a similar problem and Tom solved it for me in an earlier thread with the following....

    > Hi,
    >
    > Latest brainteaser,
    >
    > I have a Excel 2000 pro workbook, in one of the spreadsheets I have
    > column (E) that uses a dropdown list (Data/Validation/List). I want the
    > next column (F) to automatically show the date that the entry to column
    > E was last changed or if there has been no change show a generic start
    > date....
    >
    > Is this possible?
    >

    > --
    > Alec H

    right click on the sheet tab and select view code. In the resulting module
    paste in code like this:

    If Target.Column = 5 Then
    Cells(Target.Row, 6).Value = Now
    Cells(Target.Row, 6).NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm"
    Target.Offset(0, 1).EntireColumn.AutoFit

    You can run a onetime macro to fill any empty cells

    Sub FillWithGeneric()
    Set rng = Columns(5).SpecialCells(xlConstants)
    For Each cell In rng
    With cell.Offset(0, 1)
    If IsEmpty(.Value) Then
    .Value = DateValue("01/01/2006") + TimeValue("08:00")
    .NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm"
    End If
    End With
    Next
    Columns(5).AutoFit

    Tom Ogilvy

    Hope this helps.

    Alec.

  6. #6
    Malaysia
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: How do I create an automatic "date last updated" reference?

    hi,
    can someone modify this code to
    not update the time when "select" the column
    but update the time while "changing" the value in the column?

    much appreciate it..

  7. #7
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,938

    Re: How do I create an automatic 'date last updated' reference?

    One Winged Angel welcome to the forum

    Unfortunately your post does not comply with Rule 4 of our Forum RULES. Do not post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread.

    If you feel an existing thread is particularly relevant to your need, provide a link to the other thread in your new thread.

    Old threads are often only monitored by the original participants. New threads not only open you up to all possible participants again, they typically get faster response, too.
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Norway
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    Red face Re: How do I create an automatic 'date last updated' reference?

    Hi,

    I need some sort of the script that has already been made, but a small change.

    Instead of the offset, can the code place the date in a ceratin cell?

    This is what I really want: If any of the cells in a row, A:P is changed, the date will be put in cell Q.
    This means that even if cell A1 or P1 is changed, the date will appear in Q1.

    Can this be done?

    Kind regards
    Kristian

  9. #9
    Forum Moderator AliGW's Avatar
    Retired in Ipswich, Suffolk, but grew up in Sawley, Derbyshire (England)
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365 Subscription Insider Beta Channel v. 2404 (Windows 11 22H2 64-bit)
    Posts
    80,916

    Re: How do I create an automatic 'date last updated' reference?

    Administrative Note:

    We are happy to help, however whilst you feel your request is similar to this thread, experience has shown that things soon get confusing when answers refer to particular cells/ranges/sheets which are unique to your post and not relevant to the original.

    Please see Forum Rule #4 about hijacking and start a new thread for your query.

    If you are not familiar with how to start a new thread see the FAQ: How to start a new thread
    Ali

    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel who's always learning!
    Don't forget to say "thank you" in your thread to anyone who has offered you help.
    You can reward them by clicking on * Add Reputation below their user name on the left, if you wish.

    Forum Rules (updated August 2023): please read them here.

Closed Thread