Counting & Matching Text

  1. #1
    Murtaza
    Guest

    Counting & Matching Text

    Dear Experts,

    Please consider this & help me to sort this out:

    I have a Data Sheet contains 5 col namely: Emp; From; To; #OfDays; LeaveType
    I fill these columns on daily-basis using designed VB Form as below

    Emp From To #OfDays LeaveType
    Mr. A 01-Jan-06 02-Jan-06 2 Sick
    Mr. B 08-Jan-06 08-Jan-06 1 Casual
    Mr. C 12-Jan-06 16-Jan-06 5 Earned
    Mr. A 18-Jan-06 20-Jan-06 3 Casual
    ....so on

    Now, I have a complete list of Employees & we have 3 Leave Category i.e.
    Sick, Casual & Earned Leave

    What I want to do from above lengthy data is:

    Emp Sick Casual Earned Total Leaves
    Mr. A 2 3 0 5
    Mr. B 0 1 0 1
    Mr. C 0 0 5 5
    ....so on

    I tried the Vlookup formula but I can not use it with Count forumla...Is it
    possible?

    I tried my best to explain the situation, If still I am unclear, please ask

    Best regards,
    Murtaza

    PS: I know you people must have already provide the solution for this kind
    of problem, but how can I search it in Excel Newsgroups.

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: Counting & Matching Text

    You could get the results you want using a Pivot Table and making leave type
    a pivot column.
    --
    Kevin Backmann