Can't "Save As" on Network

  1. #1
    Dave
    Guest

    Can't "Save As" on Network

    Hello,

    I hope this is an appropriate group to post this problem.

    I have 2 computers networked to each other, one running WindowsXP & MS
    Office2003, the other Windows98 & MS Office97. Running Excel from
    either computer, I can open, save and create files in shared folders on
    the other computer. The problem is with the "Save As" command from
    the WindowsXP machine - I always get the message "The folder
    '\\servername\sharedfolder\newfilename.xls' isn't accessible.
    The folder may be in an unavailable location, protected with a
    password, or the filename contains a / or \ ." (I get the same
    message with MS Word). This problem first appeared after the WindowsXP
    computer was updated to MS Office2003 - the Windows98 machine does
    not exhibit this problem. To date, I haven't found a solution at the
    Microsoft site. I'm sure I'm missing something here, I'd
    appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

    Regards,

    DaveU

  2. #2

    Re: Can't "Save As" on Network

    First, this is a guess.

    But if you're positive you've typed the correct path, then it sounds more like a
    network problem than excel.

    One tip, you may want to put:

    \\servername

    in the File|saveAs dialog

    Then point and click through the folders. (My typing is pertty <bg> bad,
    too???)

  3. #3
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Can't "Save As" on Network

    Dave,

    Thanks for your suggestion, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.
    If I do a file|SaveAs and keep the original file name, it works
    normally. I'm getting the impression, from the error message, that
    when I change the name, it seems to think that the file name is part of
    the path.

    regards,

    DaveU

  4. #4

    Re: Can't "Save As" on Network

    Sorry, I don't have a better guess.

  5. #5
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Can't "Save As" on Network

    Hi Dave,

    Just in case you're interested, it turned out to be an issue with one
    of WindowsXP security updates. Since I installed the fix, my problem
    seems to be resolved.

    regards,

    DaveU

  6. #6

    Re: Can't "Save As" on Network

    Thanks for posting back.

    Maybe it'll help someone searching Google.

  7. #7
    Paul
    Guest

    Re: Can't "Save As" on Network

    Dave-

    I seem to be having the same probelms. Can you post some more details on how
    you resolved the problem?

    Thanks!
    --
    Paul