sales journal and inventory management

  1. #1
    benwmen
    Guest

    sales journal and inventory management

    I have a small service business with a parts inventory of approximately 180
    items. A typical business day involves the sale of 3 or 4 inventory items
    and the associated installation labor. Purchases of replacement inventory
    occur 3 or 4 times per month.

    I am trying to build a sales worksheet and a purchases worksheet that would
    automatically update the inventory worksheets. Can someone suggest how I can
    accomplish this? Or, if there is a better way to go about this, please point
    me in the right direction!

  2. #2
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: sales journal and inventory management

    "benwmen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have a small service business with a parts inventory of approximately 180
    > items. A typical business day involves the sale of 3 or 4 inventory items
    > and the associated installation labor. Purchases of replacement inventory
    > occur 3 or 4 times per month.
    >
    > I am trying to build a sales worksheet and a purchases worksheet that
    > would
    > automatically update the inventory worksheets. Can someone suggest how I
    > can
    > accomplish this? Or, if there is a better way to go about this, please
    > point
    > me in the right direction!

    I ***think*** (but not sure) one of the Quicken business products handles
    inventory. You might want to poke around at www.quicken.com. Also,
    www.peachtree.com. These programs include other accounting functions which,
    even if not important now due to the size of your business, might be very
    helpful later if you grow larger.

  3. #3
    benwmen
    Guest

    Re: sales journal and inventory management

    You are right about the Quickbooks solution, but I was hoping avoid the
    expense and the oversophistication. I don't anticipate or want to get any
    larger. I already have a very useful and inexpensive general ledger program
    that meets my accounting needs. I do appreciate your help. Thanks, Ben

  4. #4
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: sales journal and inventory management

    I think your first stop should be a site like Barnes & Noble (www.bn.com),
    where a search for the words "microsoft excel accounting" just turned up at
    least 9 pages of results. Next, the library. What you're trying to do is too
    large for an easy answer, as I'm sure you're aware. On the other hand, some
    of these might be all you need:
    http://www.dotxls.com/free-templates...-and-inventory

  5. #5
    patrick l
    Guest

    Re: sales journal and inventory management

    Dear Ben,

    With the $100.00 rebate and 12 month Free support, you could get the
    Microsoft Office Small Business Accounting package, which would handle all
    your needs. With the rebate, you are looking at about $50!! Funny, nobody
    else thought of this!