How do I remove or filter out duplicate records in a sheet?

  1. #1
    geo
    Guest

    How do I remove or filter out duplicate records in a sheet?

    How do I remove or filter out duplicate records in an Excel Spreadsheet?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Kansas, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    You can use Data/Filter/Advanced Filter

    Selet your range, check the unique values box, and if you want to copy the unique values to another range, then select the Copy To box & pick a cell to copy to.

    ---Glenn

  3. #3
    geo
    Guest

    Re: How do I remove or filter out duplicate records in a sheet?

    I am trying to remove or separate all my records that occur more than once,
    not extract the records that are not duplicates....the advance filter does
    not do that as I understand it.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I remove or filter out duplicate records in a sheet?

    You can use the techniques on Chip Pearson's site, to mark and delete
    the duplicates in the source data:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

    geo wrote:
    > How do I remove or filter out duplicate records in an Excel Spreadsheet?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    If you want to find "Duplicates" the easiest way I have found is to sort your records on the column you want to check. Then have the cell above the records you want to check for duplicates as a "blank" or a column Title. For this example I would start the records you want to check at Cell A2 (you always want a Not Dup for your first value): Then enter the following formula in whatever column you want and copy it down the list:
    =IF(A2=A1,"Dup","Not Dup"). You Can enter whatever values you want for "DUP" and "Not Dup"