Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scrolls

  1. #1
    Indiana Jay
    Guest

    Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scrolls

    I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have it scroll
    as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same row/column
    that my cursor is in.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2

    Re: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scrolls

    maybe....

    you may want to try Chip Pearson's Rowliner:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scrolls

    This has been previously posted here http://tinyurl.com/bhhnr

    Bob Phillips

    "Indiana Jay" <Indiana [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have it

    scroll
    > as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same

    row/column
    > that my cursor is in.
    >
    > ----------------

    this
    > click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=50c21b19-ae
    38-4a89-a0a9-b17ffcf73a30&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

  4. #4
    Indiana Jay
    Guest

    Re: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scro

    I don't want some workaround macro, I want the feature built in.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scro

    Well I hope you get your wish and sorry for trying to help.

    Bob Phillips

    "Indiana Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't want some workaround macro, I want the feature built in.
    >
    > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
    >
    > > This has been previously posted here http://tinyurl.com/bhhnr
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Bob Phillips

    > > "Indiana Jay" <Indiana [email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have it

    > > scroll
    > > > as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same

    > > row/column
    > > > that my cursor is in.
    > > >
    > > > ----------------
    > > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
    > > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

    the "I
    > > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

    follow
    > > this
    > > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

    then

  6. #6
    Indiana Jay
    Guest

    Re: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scro

    Thanks Bob for helping, I didn't mean for my response to sound ungrateful,
    it's just that my intent was to suggest to Microsoft that this would be a
    very useful feature for all to have.

    I believe many people would use this feature, who have to work with large
    amounts of data that spreads across a page, and can be difficult to follow
    across with the ***** eye.

    I would like to turn on my cursor highlighting bar the same way I freeze
    panes, or split screens. In fact, know that I think of it, the "highlighted
    cursor bar" feature would be appropriately added to the Window menu.

    All the best,

    Jay

  7. #7
    Indiana Jay
    Guest

    HELP!: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor

    Dear Bob,

    I tried this at work this morning and it was excellent! I really appreciate
    the tip. However, as I do not use macros much and am not familiar with event
    codes, when I went to print the highlight showed on the printout. ):

    Is there a way to turn this off for printing purposes?

    Thanks,

    Jay

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scro

    Jay,

    We see the notice at the foot that says that it is a recommendation for MS
    (and presumably they do take notice of these?), but we tend to assume that
    although the poster is putting forward a suggestion, they would still like a
    solution, at least until it does become a built-in.

    I absolutely agree it would be useful, as proven by Chip developing his
    add-in, and the number of times I have offered my solution to posters, but I
    am not so sure is up there in MS's priorities.

    Regards

    Bob

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: HELP!: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor

    Yes that should be possible.

    Change the highlighting code to this

    '----------------------------------------------------------------
    '----------------------------------------------------------------
    ThisWorkbook.Names.Add "'" & Me.Name & "'!_HiLite", True

    Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
    With Target
    With .EntireRow
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
    With .FormatConditions(1)
    With .Borders(xlTop)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    With .Borders(xlBottom)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 20
    End With
    End With
    With .EntireColumn
    .FormatConditions.Delete
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
    With .FormatConditions(1)
    With .Borders(xlLeft)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    With .Borders(xlRight)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 20
    End With
    End With

    .FormatConditions.Delete
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
    .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
    End With

    and add this printing code

    Dim hilite As Boolean
    With ActiveSheet
    hilite = False
    On Error Resume Next
    hilite = Evaluate(.Names(ActiveSheet.Name & _
    "!__Hilite").RefersTo)
    On Error GoTo 0
    If hilite Then
    .FormatConditions.Delete
    End If
    End With
    End Sub

    This is workbook event code.
    To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet
    (or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks),
    select View Code from the menu, and paste the code

  10. #10
    Indiana Jay
    Guest

    Re: ONCE MORE!: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor

    Bob,

    If I can presume upon you one more time, and you have been so good.
    Sorry, but I am new to this area of visual basic event codes.

    When I pasted in the original code, I saved it, exited, and the highlight
    bar showed up. I did not name it, and I do not know how to turn the feature
    off. So,

    1) I'm not sure where I would put the "printing code". I am assuming I
    append it to the same code I pasted? And do I activate it as well?

    2) Can I just "De-Activate" the first code so that I can use the worksheet
    normally without the highlighted bar when I want to? Otherwise, the highlight
    is always on once I activated it. I do not always want to see it, but I am
    unsure what the event code needs to De-Activate. When I select that option it
    seems to give me some sort of template that is looking for a new subroutine?
    Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()

    Thanks for your patience with me,

    Jay

    P.S. wouldn't this be a great option to turn on and off, like "gridlines" in
    the Tools/Options "View" tab, and Window Options area

  11. #11
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: ONCE MORE!: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor

    Jay,

    Comments inline.

    "Indiana Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > When I pasted in the original code, I saved it, exited, and the highlight
    > bar showed up. I did not name it, and I do not know how to turn the

    feature
    > off. So,
    >
    > 1) I'm not sure where I would put the "printing code". I am assuming I
    > append it to the same code I pasted? And do I activate it as well?

    I added a note at the end on where to put that de-activate code. I'll repeat
    it here

    This is workbook event code.
    To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet
    (or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks),
    select View Code from the menu, and paste the code

    > 2) Can I just "De-Activate" the first code so that I can use the worksheet
    > normally without the highlighted bar when I want to? Otherwise, the

    highlight
    > is always on once I activated it. I do not always want to see it, but I am
    > unsure what the event code needs to De-Activate. When I select that option

    it
    > seems to give me some sort of template that is looking for a new

    subroutine?

    I like your idea of a button. Send me your workbook and I will create it for
    you.

  12. #12
    Indiana Jay
    Guest

    Re: DE-ACTIVATE: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column curs

    Bob,

    I'm not sure I can send this workbook with financial data from the company
    I'm doing contract accounting work for in Boston, but isn't there a way to
    De-Activate the code by reversing the steps the code does when it is
    activated?

    This is really what I need. And I now understand that the printing codce
    belongs with the workbook, not the worksheet. I did not read it carefully
    enough.

    By the way, what do you do for work? You seem to know this stuff pretty well.

    Thanks,

    Jay

  13. #13
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: DE-ACTIVATE: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column curs

    "Indiana Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bob,
    >
    > I'm not sure I can send this workbook with financial data from the company
    > I'm doing contract accounting work for in Boston, but isn't there a way to
    > De-Activate the code by reversing the steps the code does when it is
    > activated?

    That is the principle of how you would do it. But your idea of a toggle is
    eminently sensible, and I think the way to go. Could you not strip the
    confidential data out, even if it mean the data worksheets. I don't need to
    see the data, just have your workbook to add the toggle.

    > This is really what I need. And I now understand that the printing codce
    > belongs with the workbook, not the worksheet. I did not read it carefully
    > enough.

    That''s good news.

    > By the way, what do you do for work? You seem to know this stuff pretty

    well.

    I'm in IT, I'm a design consultant. I do a bit of Excel, Office, VBA, VB
    work, but it is not my primary occupation.

  14. #14
    Indiana Jay
    Guest

    Re: DE-ACTIVATE: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cur

    Bob,

    Thanks for your help. And I like the idea of a toggle for Microsoft, but I
    like better for me right now the ability to paste in the code as I need for
    multiple workbooks.

    I was thinking I could paste in both the activate and de-activate codes
    together on each sheet I wanted to use the feature on. Otherwise, I can only
    have this toggle button for the sheet you do it to.

    Does that make sense? This way, it seems very straightforward and I can
    share the feature with others. And we can use it only on the worksheets we
    want to, and by simply de-activating get the sheets back to their untouched,
    native form.

    It must be pretty simple (for you, not for me) to un-do your macro with one
    that puts everything back to the default setting. Is there a way to get back
    to the default settings with a "de-activate" code for now?

    You're too good to me,

    Jay

  15. #15
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: DE-ACTIVATE: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cur

    Jay,

    Okay, how about this?

    This solution provides a toolbar to switch highlighting on and off for every
    sheet in the workbook. It allows setting highlighting, and then setting row
    and column highlighting individually. The button tooltiptext shows whether
    it is set or not, so you can easily check (although it is quite obvious with
    the colours <G>)

    There is quite a bit of code. The first bit is workbook event code.
    To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet
    (or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks),
    select View Code from the menu, and paste the code

    Option Explicit

    On Error Resume Next
    Application.CommandBars("Hiliter").Delete
    On Error GoTo 0
    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()

    On Error Resume Next
    Application.CommandBars("Hiliter").Delete
    On Error GoTo 0

    With Application.CommandBars
    With .Add(Name:="Hiliter", temporary:=True)

    With .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
    .Caption = "Hiliter"
    .Style = msoButtonCaption
    End With

    Set ocHiliter = .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
    With ocHiliter
    .BeginGroup = True
    .FaceId = 20
    .Tag = "Hiliter"
    .OnAction = "setHiliter"
    End With

    Set ocHiliterRow = .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
    With ocHiliterRow
    .FaceId = 1652
    .Tag = "Row"
    .OnAction = "setHiliter"
    End With

    Set ocHiliterCol = .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
    With ocHiliterCol
    .FaceId = 1650
    .Tag = "Column"
    .OnAction = "setHiliter"
    End With

    .Visible = True

    End With

    End With

    CheckHiliterNames

    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_SheetActivate(ByVal Sh As Object)
    CheckHiliterNames
    Hilite Sh, ActiveCell
    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target
    As Range)

    Hilite Sh, Target

    End Sub

    The next bit goes in a standard code module

    Option Explicit
    Option Private Module

    Public fHiliter As Boolean
    Public fRowHiliter As Boolean
    Public fColHiliter As Boolean

    Public ocHiliter As CommandBarControl
    Public ocHiliterRow As CommandBarControl
    Public ocHiliterCol As CommandBarControl

    Private Sub SetHiliter()

    With ThisWorkbook

    Select Case Application.CommandBars.ActionControl.Tag

    Case "Hiliter":
    fHiliter = Not fHiliter
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & _
    "!__Hilite", RefersTo:=fHiliter
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & _
    "!__HiliteRow", RefersTo:=fHiliter
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & _
    "!__HiliteCol", RefersTo:=fHiliter

    Case "Row":
    fRowHiliter = Not fRowHiliter
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & _
    "!__HiliteRow", RefersTo:=fRowHiliter

    Case "Column":
    fColHiliter = Not fColHiliter
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & _
    "!__HiliteCol", RefersTo:=fColHiliter

    End Select

    End With

    CheckHiliterNames
    Hilite ActiveSheet, ActiveCell

    End Sub

    Public Sub Hilite(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)

    Sh.Cells.FormatConditions.Delete

    If fHiliter Then

    With Target

    If fRowHiliter Then

    With .EntireRow
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression,
    Formula1:="TRUE"
    With .FormatConditions(1)
    With .Borders(xlTop)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    With .Borders(xlBottom)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 20
    End With
    End With

    End If 'fRowHiliter

    If fColHiliter Then

    With .EntireColumn
    .FormatConditions.Delete
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression,
    Formula1:="TRUE"
    With .FormatConditions(1)
    With .Borders(xlLeft)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    With .Borders(xlRight)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 20
    End With
    End With

    End If 'fColHiliter

    .FormatConditions.Delete
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
    .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36

    End With

    Public Sub CheckHiliterNames()
    Dim sButtonSuffix As String

    With ThisWorkbook

    On Error Resume Next
    fHiliter = Evaluate(.Names(.ActiveSheet.Name & _
    "!__Hilite").RefersTo)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & "!__Hilite",
    RefersTo:=fHiliter
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & "!__HiliteRow",
    RefersTo:=fHiliter
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & "!__HiliteCol",
    RefersTo:=fHiliter
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0
    sButtonSuffix = IIf(fHiliter, "Set", "Not set")
    ocHiliter.Caption = "Toggle highlighting - " & sButtonSuffix

    On Error Resume Next
    fRowHiliter = Evaluate(.Names(.ActiveSheet.Name & _
    "!__HiliteRow").RefersTo)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & "!__HiliteRow",
    RefersTo:=fRowHiliter
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0
    sButtonSuffix = IIf(fRowHiliter, "Set", "Not set")
    ocHiliterRow.Caption = "Row Hiliter - " & sButtonSuffix

    On Error Resume Next
    fColHiliter = Evaluate(.Names(.ActiveSheet.Name & _
    "!__HiliteCol").RefersTo)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    .Names.Add Name:=.ActiveSheet.Name & "!__HiliteCol",
    RefersTo:=fColHiliter
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0
    sButtonSuffix = IIf(fColHiliter, "Set", "Not set")
    ocHiliterCol.Caption = "Column Hiliter - " & sButtonSuffix

    .Names(.ActiveSheet.Name & "!__Hilite").Visible = False
    .Names(.ActiveSheet.Name & "!__HiliteRow").Visible = False
    .Names(.ActiveSheet.Name & "!__HiliteCol").Visible = False

    End With

    ------------------------------

  16. #16
    Indiana Jay
    Guest

    Re: Simple De-Activate

    Bob,

    I know I have pestered you too much already, and for that I am sorry. but
    I'm unsure why you are not able to give me a "simple" de-activate script
    which I could paste in each worksheet with the original script.

    In my naivete I keep hoping to see a script as short as the original, which
    you would instruct me to paste only into the worksheets I want to use it in.

    Then, I would have two small lines of code which I could easily paste into
    whatever sheets I want to use it in--and by the way, I took out the last few
    lines so that I only use the highlighted row portion, and leave off the
    column and cell highlighting.

    What do you think? Is there a simple script that matches the original on
    line by line and just returns the cursor to the default setting when I choose
    the "de-activate" option?

    I will try the full-fledged workbook solution on my own at home.

    All the best,

    Jay