How do I keep a formula constant in dragging cells below the rows

  1. #1
    analyst storm
    Guest

    How do I keep a formula constant in dragging cells below the rows

    I want to fill a column of cells with the same fomula in each cell but when a
    drag the cells the formula keeps changing by adding 1 to each cell reference.
    I want the same formula in each cell over namy rolls in a column.

  2. #2
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: How do I keep a formula constant in dragging cells below the rows

    Use absolute reference... =$A$1+$B$1

    There are varations to hold the row absolute, or the column.

    Do a formula and click on A1 then use F4 to toggle through the options of
    absolute reference.

    Howard

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How do I keep a formula constant in dragging cells below the rows

    Put a single space before the = before you copy. Afterwards, remove the
    spaces.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  4. #4
    George

    analyst storm wrote:
    > I want to fill a column of cells with the same fomula in each cell but when a
    > drag the cells the formula keeps changing by adding 1 to each cell reference.
    > I want the same formula in each cell over namy rolls in a column.

    Look up 'cell and range references' in the help
    It's called absolute addressing
    Basically, put a $ sign in front of the reference you dont want to change

    Eg.
    $B1 The B won't change
    B$1 The 1 won't change
    $B$1 Both the B and the 1 won't change