Drop down list-->words=numbers?

  1. #1
    Anonymous
    Guest

    Drop down list-->words=numbers?

    Hello!

    I have a quick question. If I create a drop down list in excel, can I tell
    other cells to read certain words as numbers. For example. if I have a drop
    down list with responses "I strongly agree", "I agree", etc. could I make
    those words have a value? Srongly agree would equal "5" and then excel could
    add up the responses and divide by the number of questions for an average
    response? I know it would be easier to just type in 5, but I think this is
    easier.

    Is this, in any way, possible?

    Thank you for your time

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Drop down list-->words=numbers?

    Hello no-name,

    Say that your two cells are A2 and B2. In cell B2, use the formula

    =IF(A2="","",MATCH(A2,{"I strongly disagree","I disagree","Neutral", "I agree","I strongly
    agree"},FALSE))

    If you have a list of possible values, sorted 1 to 5, name it Agreements - then you could use the
    formula

    =IF(A2="","",MATCH(A2,Agreements,FALSE))

    And you could also use the source =Arguments as your data validation list.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Drop down list-->words=numbers?

    the combo box from the forms toolbar has a number in the "linked cell" the
    first choice from the combobox will compute as 1 in the linked cell the fifth
    choice is 5
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  4. #4
    Anonymous
    Guest

    Re: Drop down list-->words=numbers?

    Is there any way to make strongly disagree equal 0? Also, I'm not getting the
    last part of your post. How can I name the list?

    Thanks,
    "no-name"

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Drop down list-->words=numbers?

    Hey No-Name,

    If you want 0,2,3,4,5, use something like

    =IF(A2="","",MATCH(A2,{"I strongly disagree","This cannot be matched","I
    disagree","Neutral", "I agree","I strongly agree"},FALSE)-1)

    If you want 0,1,2,3,4 use something like

    =IF(A2="","",MATCH(A2,{"I strongly disagree","I disagree","Neutral", "I
    agree","I strongly agree"},FALSE)-1)

    To name a range, use the Insert / Name dialog.

  6. #6
    Anonymous
    Guest

    Re: Drop down list-->words=numbers?