Average of Averages

  1. #1
    Alan Bernardo
    Guest

    Average of Averages

    Another seemingly simple process which I can't figure.

    I have a list of averages, and I want to get the average of them.

    As such,

    1 25%
    2 42%
    3 100%
    4 50%

    I need a formula to average something like the above.

    Thanks,

    Alan

  2. #2
    =AVERAGE(A1:A4) is one possible solution.

    Hope it helps.

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Average of Averages

    Hi Alan

    It really depends what you are after.
    =AVERAGE(A1:A4) will give a straight arithmetic average of the averages.
    However, you might need a weighted average, giving relevance to the
    sample sizes that generated the original average values.

    Imagine that your original values had come as a result of something like
    the following
    Sample Total Percentage
    10 40 25%
    21 50 42%
    5 5 100%
    5 10 50%

    Taking a straight Arithmetic average of the averages would give a result
    of 54%
    However, calculating the weighted average by taking the sum of sample
    and dividing by the sum of total would produce a result of 39%

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...