How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

  1. #1
    Red Cross Rose
    Guest

    How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    How do I write a formula for Excel to read the value in a cell that will be
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. and respond with a corellating day.

    For example, "Today is Monday, this report is due Thursday". I realize
    Monday and Thursday will be represented in their own cells.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    ="Report due on "&TEXT(A1,"dddd")

    where A1 is your date.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    paul
    Guest

    RE: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    we need more info.How are the days "stored" Are they typed monday tuesday etc
    or do they represent a real excel date formatted as dddd.?

    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    Hi

    With an Excel date in cell A1 which is a Monday e.g. 20/02/2006 then
    ="Today is "&TEXT(A1,"dddd")&", this report is due "&TEXT(A1+3,"dddd")

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  5. #5
    Red Cross Rose
    Guest

    RE: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    The days will be manually typed in each morning. It's just a basic 2-line
    entry that will say
    Today is MONDAY (or whatever that day is) February 20 2006
    72 hour reports for THURSDAY February 23 2006 are due today
    We can manually enter the day/date on the first line, but I want excel to
    automatically calculate the day/date of the reports that are due on the
    second line.

    Thanks Paul!

  6. #6
    Red Cross Rose
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    Bob, thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid I'm too much of a novice to make
    your instructions work for the calculation.

  7. #7
    Red Cross Rose
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    Hi Roger, thanks for your reply!

    I tried what you suggested, but I'm getting a #VALUE! error. Would you
    please break this down for me? Thank you for your patience with this novice!
    I obviously need a training class!

    Rose

  8. #8
    paul
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    rose,cell A1 must ontain a proper excel date.In a1 type =today().Cell A1 will
    now always shows todays date,and rogers formula will always show a report is
    due in 3 days from today

  9. #9
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    Hi Rose

    As Paul pointed out, you need to have a valid Excel date entered into
    cell A1.
    (If I type 20.02.2006 in cell A1, I also get a #VALUE error.)
    I chose 20/02/2006 for next Monday's date. Do ensure it is not a Text
    representation of the date.
    Highlight cell A1, then Format>Cells>Number>Date and highlight the 3rd
    option down which shows 14/03/2001
    Now enter 20/02/2006 in the cell (or, whatever the format is for your
    regional settings)

    To provide a result exactly the same as your second post to Paul, then
    use the following formula

    ="Today is "&TEXT(A1,"dddd")&" "&TEXT(A1,"mmmm dd yyyy")
    & CHAR(10)& "72 hour reports for " &UPPER(TEXT(A1+3,"dddd"))
    &" "&TEXT(A1+3,"mmmm dd yyyy")&" are due today"

    I have deliberately forced line breaks into the formula to allow it to
    come out more clearly in this posting. The formula is really just one
    continuous entry.

    If you format the cell in which you post the formula with line wrap on,
    then it will show on 2 lines as you requested, once you widen the
    column.
    Format>Cells>Alignment>Wrap text

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    "Red Cross Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in

  10. #10
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    If you are going to type the date each morning then why not make it
    completetly automatic.......in the first line (cell) type =TODAY() and format
    the cell as dddd to show the day, in the second line (cell) type ="72 hour
    reports for "&TEXT(TODAY()+3,"ddd mmm dd, yyyy")&" is due today"

    But what about the weekend? Does saturday and sunday count in the 72 hours?

    HTH
    Jean-Guy

  11. #11
    paul
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up if/then formulas in Excel?

    thanks Roger ,it was late and i realized I had only told half the story!