Consolidate text

  1. #1
    EXCEL101
    Guest

    Consolidate text

    I need to consolidate two different worksheets that contain text. One
    worksheet contains the following:

    Row A -
    Row B - alphanumeric identifier
    Row C&D - numbers

    The second worksheet contains the following:

    Row A - name
    Row B - alphanumeric identifier

    I need to pull the name from the second worksheet that matches the
    alphanumeric identifier in the first worksheet. Any ideas?

    Thanks,

  2. #2

    Re: Consolidate text

    You mean columns A, B, C&D, right?

    Put this in the cell that should return the name (A2???):
    =index(sheet2!a:a,match(b2,sheet2!b:b,0))

    You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
    and
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

  3. #3
    EXCEL101
    Guest

    Re: Consolidate text

    Thank you that was exactly what I needed!