Sorting in multiple columns

  1. #1
    jezzica85
    Guest

    Sorting in multiple columns

    Hi all,
    Is there a way to sort data in excel so if there's something like this:

    a a a
    a b b
    a b c
    b b c
    c c c

    it can turn into this with all the similar data grouped to show how many of
    each type are in each column without it being mashed together?:

    a a a

    b b b

    c c c

    Thanks, I wasn't sure how else to put it without an illustration!

  2. #2
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: Sorting in multiple columns

    You provided an illustration but your post is still confusing. Are you
    talking about three columns? Three a's mean that we have the same value
    in all three columns? In your example there is no row with 3 b's. Do
    you want all other information discarded?

    Please be more specific.

    Kostis Vezerides

  3. #3
    jezzica85
    Guest

    Re: Sorting in multiple columns

    I am talking about 3 columns, although the spreadsheet I want to organize has
    31, and 3 a's does mean the same value over all the columns. What this
    actually is is I've done a sort of words in 31 chapters, all lined up, and I
    want to know how many of each word are in a chapter. The problem is that
    there aren't the same number of a specific word in each chapter, so I want to
    separate them so I can see how many of each are a specific chapter.
    Hope that helps.