How can I advanced sort into a Collum

  1. #1
    Dan S
    Guest

    How can I advanced sort into a Collum

    I have data that I need to sort by groups.

    Like:

    xxxx yyaa
    xxxx abcc

    I need to sort to find all the yy's and count and then all the ab's and count?

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: How can I advanced sort into a Collum

    You can sort your data by group and then use subtotals count the records at
    each change in group.

    After sorting, click DATA and select SUBTOTALS.

    In the subtotals dialog box, select your group column for the AT EACH CHANGE
    IN value, select COUNT as the USE FUNCTION value, and select the group column
    as the column to count as the ADD SUBTOTAL TO value.

    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Dan S
    Guest

    RE: How can I advanced sort into a Collum

    Thanks. The only problem is the group with xxxx is really AUCT or NESN and
    not xxxx, so when I sort it just puts them in alphabetical order and is still
    no help.

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: How can I advanced sort into a Collum

    Well, why not separate out the two characters you need, i.e. enter:

    = LEFT(B1,2)

    in cell C1 and copy down. Now sort your data (plus column C) using
    column C - you can always delete this column if you have no further
    need for it.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete