Pull data from multi-row records

  1. #1
    thermometer98
    Guest

    Pull data from multi-row records

    I've got about 50 records that were imported. Each record has about 30
    rows. A portion of one would look something like:

    082 04$a813/.54$222
    049 \\$aLVGA
    100 1\$aKelton, Elmer.
    245 10$aRanger's trail$h[electronic resource] /$cElmer Kelton.
    260 \\$aPrince Frederick, Md. :$bRecorded Books ;$a[Boulder, Colo.
    :$bMade available electronically by] NetLibrary,$c2005.
    300 \\$a1 sound file (9 hr.) :$bdigital, wma file.
    440 \0$aLone Star audio
    490 1\$aTexas Rangers series ;$v4
    538 \\$aSystem requirements: Windows Media Player compatible, check
    NetLibrary website for version information.
    538 \\$aMode of access: World Wide Web.

    I want to find all the 100, 440, and 490 fields for each of my records
    to create a table with just that data. Something like this:
    1\$aKelton, Elmer. \0$aLone Star audio 1\$aTexas Rangers series ;$v4
    and each record would follow along. I tried vlookup and pivot tables,
    but no luck. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Pull data from multi-row records

    Use the advanced filter and copy to a new location.

    Assume your data has a header row (if not, make one)

    Header1 Header2
    082 04$a813/.54$222

    in another range of cells, create your criteria like

    Header1

    See Debra Dalgleish's site for information on using Advanced filter (or
    consult Excel help)

    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...