LOST!! Chart? Pivot table? Formula?

  1. #1
    Ed
    Guest

    LOST!! Chart? Pivot table? Formula?

    I have a column of numbers (lengths of time). I am supposed to find the
    point at which 90% of the numbers are below. Yes, I write these reports -
    but usually I put in the numbers they give me. Now I must spin the straw
    into gold myself! Can someone help a word-smith figure out numbers?

    Ed

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Ed,

    You could use Conditional Formatting and this formula to highlight the times that are below the 90th percentile.

    Select the first cell in your range of times (in this case A1), click on Format>Conditional Formatting. In the CF option box, change the Cell Value Is to Formula is: Type in this formula.

    =A1<PERCENTILE($A$1:$A$16,0.9)

    Select the fill color you want and click ok. Click on the format painter (it looks like a paint brush) and highlight the rest of your range and release the mouse button. This will apply that format to the entire range. The cells that are highlighted are below the 90th percentile for the range of times.

    Does that help?

    Steve

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: LOST!! Chart? Pivot table? Formula?

    Use =PERCENTILE(A1:A500,0.9) to find the 90% percentile.
    90% of numbers are below this

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: LOST!! Chart? Pivot table? Formula?

    Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the boost.
    Ed

    "SteveG" <[email protected]> wrote in

  5. #5
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: LOST!! Chart? Pivot table? Formula?

    Thanks, Bernard. I appreciate the boost.
    Ed

    news:%[email protected]...