automate csv field change?

  1. #1

    automate csv field change?

    I have a report that is auto-generated as a CSV daily. I then need to
    manually import it somewhere else - daily.

    I would like to take Row 1, which exports as:
    Col 1, Col 2, Col 3, etc. (Col 1 in A1, Col 2 in B1, Col 3 in C1, etc.)

    and change it to:
    Name, Address, City, etc.

    What is the easist/quickest way to do this?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: automate csv field change?

    ms,

    I like to import from external database. This makes it simpler, to me at
    least.

    First, you have to have the MS text driver set up in OBDC.

    In Excel,
    Data/Import External Data/New Database Query

    Select your CSV file, and add the fields you need.

    Finish the wizard, but go to the Query editor, and change the SQL statement
    like:

    SELECT file.`Col 1` AS 'Name', file.`Col 2` AS 'Address', file.`Col 3` AS
    'City',...etc
    FROM file.CSV file

    Then return the data to Excel.

    Hope this helps.