Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Alice
    Guest

    Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

    My Excel 2003 spreadsheet is all of sudden automatically converting any
    numbers I enter by what appears to be dividing by 1000. I checked the
    autocorrect function but that does not appear to be the problem, is there
    another way Excel pre-processes date entered?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

    "Alice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My Excel 2003 spreadsheet is all of sudden automatically converting any
    > numbers I enter by what appears to be dividing by 1000. I checked the
    > autocorrect function but that does not appear to be the problem, is there
    > another way Excel pre-processes date entered?
    >
    > Thanks

    Take a peek at the formatting for one of the cells and see if something
    odd's going on in the number format.

  3. #3
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

    Hi Alice

    If you click on Tools, Options and select the Edit tab, you will most likely
    see that fixed decimal places have been ticked, and with 3 decimal places.
    Untick and you should be OK.
    hth

  4. #4
    Alice
    Guest

    RE: Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

    Thanks. That was it! My mother thanks you too! :-)

    Any idea how that setting would have been set, since the spreadsheets I had
    did not have that problem before so it somehow was changed?

  5. #5
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

    "Alice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks. That was it! My mother thanks you too! :-)
    >
    > Any idea how that setting would have been set, since the spreadsheets I
    > had
    > did not have that problem before so it somehow was changed?

    Ask around the house. Someone will say they didn't touch any of those
    options. That's the person who did it. Always. No exceptions. Guilty. :-)

  6. #6
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

    This option (fixed decimal), *as well as* the (manual - auto) calculate
    option are determined per session, by the saved option of the *first* file
    opened in that session.

    See if this old post explains it to you:

    http://tinyurl.com/anahg

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  7. #7
    Alice
    Guest

    Re: Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

    Thanks for the reference it was helpful.