Countif + vLookup: Can they work together?

  1. #1
    Spyder
    Guest

    Countif + vLookup: Can they work together?

    Can I set a countif function to count the number of times a name i.e. "Jim"
    appears in column B in any worksheet in a single workbook where the value in
    the same row of column E equals "Assigned"?

    Thanks for any help!
    Jeff

  2. #2

    Try this

    I believe this formula can help you to get you want. Extend the range to your needs ...

    {=SUM(IF(B2:B1000="Jim",IF(E2:E1000="Assigned",1,0)))}

  3. #3
    =SUM(IF(A2:A7="Buchanan",IF(B2:B7=9000,1,0)))

    Input this into the cell you want the result to appear, Press "F2" then Ctrl+Shift+Enter

    Will show you the results ...

  4. #4

    Re: Countif + vLookup: Can they work together?

    =sumproduct(--(b1:b10="jim"),--(e1:e10="assigned"))

    Adjust the range, but don't use the whole column.

    =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
    to 1's and 0's.

    Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail here:

    And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html