Format cells. For Excel nerds? :-)

  1. #1
    Martin
    Guest

    Format cells. For Excel nerds? :-)

    I am trying to place a picture (a country flag) behind some cells to indicate
    which country is reporting the numbers. When choosing "Format picture" I am
    setting the color to "washout". Then I am chossing "send picture to back" in
    order to make the numbers in the cell visible, but this does not work. I am
    using Excel 2003. Thank you for helping.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Format cells. For Excel nerds? :-)

    The only way I know to do this is to set up your data as it would normally
    appear, ie in range A1:E7.........then select a similar sized area off to the
    right, say AA1:AE7 and put your flag images in the respective cells in that
    range,......then go back to the regular range and highlight it and using the
    CAMERA icon, take a picture of it and paste that picture over the Imaged
    range..........this is dynamic, so when you change the data in the original
    range, the Imaged range data will follow.....

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Martin
    Guest

    RE: Format cells. For Excel nerds? :-)

    Dear Chuck.

    Thank you for your reply.

    I understand mostly everything except the camera part. Where in the menu bar
    can I find this ICON?

    - Martin

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Format cells. For Excel nerds? :-)

    If it's not on your toolbar........then right click on a toolbar and choose
    CUSTOMIZE, then select the COMMANDS tab, and TOOLS category.......then scroll
    down till you find the CAMERA icon and drag it to a toolbar.........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    Martin
    Guest

    RE: Format cells. For Excel nerds? :-)

    Thank you - now I found the camera. However, the problem is still the same =
    I still can only see either the picture or the numbers in the cells, and not
    the numbers with the picture in the background. I am aware that I may need to
    selecet "Send picture to the back" but this does not work.

    P.S. Are you Spanish?

  6. #6
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Format cells. For Excel nerds? :-)

    Try this link for further information about the camera tool and how to
    get it working in later versions of XL:

    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/odd/odd04.htm

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Format cells. For Excel nerds? :-)

    Sorry, forgot to mention that once you have the picture of your data, then
    Right-click on it and do FormatPicture > ColorsAndLines > FillColor = NoFill
    > Lines = NoLines > OK.............this will turn the background of the data

    picture transparent so you can see through it to see the flags in the cells
    behind.

    Nope, "Hienz 57" actually......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3