How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

  1. #1
    Riverrat
    Guest

    How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

    I want to replace zeros with blanks. In the Find tab of the Find/Replace
    dialog box I can choose to find the zeros in values as opposed to formulas.
    However, when I go to the Replace tab, the only option it gives me is to
    replace zeros found in formulas. How can I replace only zeros that show up
    as values RESULTING from formulas?

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

    Change the formulas !

    OR

    If you don't need the formulas for any *further* calculations,
    Select the formulas,
    right click in the selection,
    Choose "Copy",
    Right click again and choose "Paste Special",
    Click on "Values", then <OK>.

    Now you can edit and replace the 0's with blanks,

    Which is *EXACTLY* the same as *DELETING* the formulas in the first
    place.<g>

    OR

    Change the formulas !
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

    If you simply don't want to see anything where the cell value is zero, you
    could use Tools / Options, select the View tab and clear the 'zero values'
    checkbox.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

    You can't by using find and replace, you can however do it in the same
    formula that might return a zero

    =IF(yourformula=0,"",yourformula)

    note that if you do calculation using an operand the result will be a value
    error since the blank is text,
    if you are plotting a graph then you should use the NA() function instead

    =IF(yourformula=0,NA(),yourformula)

    you might then want to hide the result since it will look like #N/A! so you
    can use conditional formatting, formula is

    =ISNA(A2)

    (where A2 is the cell that holds the original formula), format with white
    fonts

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

  5. #5
    Riverrat
    Guest

    Re: How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

    I'll need the formulas possibly later so I'd rather not change them.
    Otherwise I'd do just as you suggested.

  6. #6
    Riverrat
    Guest

    RE: How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

    Thank you for the suggestion--it opened my eyes to a view option I wasn't
    previously aware of--but I'll be taking averages of some of these rows
    containing zeros. If the zeros are present but I'm not aware of them because
    I turned them off, my averages will be skewed low.

  7. #7
    Riverrat
    Guest

    Re: How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

    Do I add this "IF" formula to the original formula or can I somehow overlay
    it on the cells containing the original formula?
    It seems your suggestion is the best so far for my needs.

  8. #8
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

    Peo is saying the same thing I said, but using different words:

    *Change your formulas !*

    Post back with a formula you're using, and we'll gladly show you how to
    revise it to eliminate the 0's.

  9. #9
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: How do I replace numbers in a value NOT a formula?

    Exactly as Peo said

    =IF(yourformula=0,"",yourformula)

    Take your formula, whatever it is, EXCEPT the = sign, and put it in the
    formula above in both places where you can see it say yourformula, eg in
    cell A2 lets assume you have the following

    =SUM(B2:Z2)

    Simply make it

    =IF(SUM(B2:Z2)=0,"",SUM(B2:Z2))

    --