Replacing capital letters

  1. #1
    jezzica85
    Guest

    Replacing capital letters

    Hi all,
    Does anyone know if it's possible to take a big range of data and replace
    all capital letters with lowercase ones, except if they're directly in front
    of a symbol? As an example,

    Example would turn into example
    EXAMPLE would turn into example
    #Example would stay #Example
    #EXAMPLE would turn into #Example

    I'm macro challenged, so I have no idea how to write or use macros. If
    there's a formula for this, please tell me, but if there's a macro can you
    please tell me what it is and how to set it up so it works?

    Thank you so much!

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Replacing capital letters

    Try

    =IF(LEFT(A1)="#","#"&PROPER(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)),LOWER(A1))

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    "jezzica85" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jezzica85
    Guest

    Re: Replacing capital letters

    This is going to sound silly, but will that work for a whole sheet? And
    where would I put it?

  4. #4
    jezzica85
    Guest

    Re: Replacing capital letters

    Never mind, I figured that out, but I noticed this formula messes up on
    apostrophes and acronyms, so I get things like:

    Example'S
    and
    Teb (Short for "this example is really bad )
    I'Ve

    when I should get:
    Example's
    TEB
    I've

    I know I can go through them manually, but just for trivia sake, is there a
    way to modify the formula just a little so it can handle apostrophes and
    acronyms? Acronyms aren't possible, probably, but apostrophes maybe?

  5. #5

    Re: Replacing capital letters

    How about:

    =IF(LEFT(A1,1)="#",UPPER(MID(A1,1,2)),LOWER(MID(A1,1,2)))
    &LOWER(MID(A1,3,LEN(A1)))

    (all one cell)

    If it starts with #, then capitalize the first two characters.
    Else make the first two characters lower case.
    (since the first character is #, it won't change.)

    Then always use lower case for the last xx characters (starting in position 3)

    But
    Example's becomes example's (since it didn't start with #)
    and
    TEB becomes teb

    #ExAmPlE's becomes #Example's though.