Importing data from several fles with different subset of rows

  1. #1

    Importing data from several fles with different subset of rows

    Hi, I apologize if this is a really basic question. I'm trying to
    import a series of data for 5 years. Each year is a separate file. I'll
    use a simple example as an analogy.

    Say I have a store and I track my sales by item. But what I sell
    changes slightly from year to year, like so:

    1975:
    Pet Rock 20
    Guns 10
    Butter 25

    1990:
    Pogs 30
    Guns 15
    Butter 25

    2000:
    Pokemon 10
    Guns 20
    Butter 30

    How do I have the data so it looks like this?

    1975 1990 2000
    Pet Rock 20
    Pogs 30
    Guns 10 15 20
    Butter 25 25 30
    Pokemon 10

    I'm sure this question has been answered in some form before so if you
    can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

  2. #2

    Re: Importing data from several fles with different subset of rows

    If you can get your data in this shape:

    Item Year Qty
    Pet Rock 1975 20
    Guns 1975 10
    Butter 1975 25
    Pogs 1990 30
    Guns 1990 15
    Butter 1990 25
    Pokemon 2000 10
    Guns 2000 20
    Butter 2000 30

    You'd be able to use data|pivottable to create a nice summary.

    The difficult part will be reformatting your data.