Auto "copy and paste" individual cells from various sheets into one sheet ??

  1. #1

    Auto "copy and paste" individual cells from various sheets into one sheet ??

    Hi,

    I am using Excel 2002 and work on a workbook.

    Inside the workbook, there are 3 sheets: Sheet 1, Sheet 2, Sheet3

    For each of the sheet, Cell A1 and A3 (two cells) both contain the data
    that I want.

    Question:
    I want to have Sheet 1: Cell A1 and A3, Sheet 2: Cell A1 and A3, Sheet
    3: A1 and A3 data shown on a new sheet, say Sheet 4.

    1)
    Is there an automatic way that all these 3 sheets can be "exported" to
    Sheet 4?

    2)
    Any other method than marking " = Sheet1!A1 " etc in Sheet 4?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Auto "copy and paste" individual cells from various sheets into one sheet ??

    One way would be via using INDIRECT

    Perhaps a simple example to illustrate ..

    In Sheet4,

    Suppose we list sheetnames across in B1:D1,
    eg: Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3

    and we have the cell refs of interest listed down in A2:A3,
    eg: A1, A3

    Then, we could put in B2: =INDIRECT("'" & B$1 & "'!" & $A2)
    and copy B2 across & down to D3 ..

    B2:D2 will return the same as the link formulas:
    =Sheet1!A1, =Sheet2!A1, etc

    B3:D3 will return the same as the link formulas:
    =Sheet1!A3, =Sheet2!A3, etc

    INDIRECT resolves the concatenation of the sheetname and cell ref text
    strings to return the results from the particular sheet and cell listed in
    B1:D1, and in A2:A3. So we could design the layout and define / change the
    sheetnames and cell ref text strings in the header row/col to suit the
    purpose.

    And for a neater look, we could also suppress the display of "extraneous"
    zeros in Sheet4 via clicking Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero
    values" > OK
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Auto "copy and paste" individual cells from various sheets into one sheet ??

    Here's a sample file to illustrate:
    http://cjoint.com/?dbevEkGhlc
    Intro Extracting data into summary using INDIRECT.xls