Sorting Question

  1. #1
    mtown02
    Guest

    Sorting Question

    I have two columns of numbers that I need to sort. The need to be sorted in
    thier own column but in respect to the other column. First column contains
    employee numbers from one year. Second column contains employee numbers from
    another year. I need the two columns to line up perfectly, placing blank
    spaces where there is no corrosponding number.

    Example:
    What I have looks similar to this:
    1 2
    2 3
    4 4
    5 6
    And I need it to look like this:
    1
    2 2
    3
    4 4

    Thanks a bunch,
    Mike

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Sorting Question

    Could you copy the employee numbers into a single column, with an adjacent
    column indicating the year?
    1 1
    1 2
    1 4
    1 5
    2 2
    2 3
    2 4
    2 6
    That seems pretty simple and from there, you could create a pivot table,
    with year in the columns field, employee number in the forws field AND the
    data field. Then you could select the table and copy/paste special values to
    lose the pivot table.
    Just a thought. --Bruce