Finding age from year

  1. #1

    Finding age from year

    I have a SS that has a column for YOB (year of birth) and would like
    to generate a column with which to chart age distributions. What's the
    best functions to find AGE from YOB and current date?

    -dude

  2. #2

    Re: Finding age from year

    Since all you have is the year of birth, I think I'd use:

    =YEAR(TODAY())-A1-1

    But it might not be accurate depending on the date and month of their birth.

    If you ever get the actual date of birth, you could use =datedif().

    Chip Pearson has lots of instructions at:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

  3. #3

    Re: Finding age from year

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:05:06 -0600, Dave Peterson
    <[email protected]> brought the following to our attention:

    >Since all you have is the year of birth, I think I'd use:
    >
    >=YEAR(TODAY())-A1-1
    >
    >But it might not be accurate depending on the date and month of their birth.
    >
    >If you ever get the actual date of birth, you could use =datedif().

    Thanks.. that's working thus far.. but why the -1? What rationale
    are you using here? Care to provide an example or two? How about
    -0.5 for a half-year error?

    -dude

  4. #4

    Re: Finding age from year

    Today is March 4, 2006

    If I was born in 2000, how old am I.

    Maybe 5 or maybe 6 depending on when in 2000.

    I subtracted one just because it worked for me (well, not the born in 2000
    part).

  5. #5

    Re: Finding age from year

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 06:15:04 -0600, Dave Peterson
    <[email protected]> brought the following to our attention:

    >Today is March 4, 2006
    >
    >If I was born in 2000, how old am I.
    >Maybe 5 or maybe 6 depending on when in 2000.
    >
    >I subtracted one just because it worked for me (well, not the born in 2000
    >part).

    Thanks for the example. I was thinking of doing something like making
    the assumption that in YOB, the AVE month is June or July.. and using
    resolution of TODAY to the month or day. The errors would average out
    and the AGE would be used for distribution histograms.. which have
    resolutions of 5yr and 10yr.

    It's a good exercise to work for others [to see] as well. Hey, the
    guys in the age-group are tough customers, they are pilots and
    captains (some retired..) :]

    -dude