Find & Replace

  1. #1
    NH
    Guest

    Find & Replace

    Simple newbie problem here: All I want to do is get rid of all dashes (-) in
    one column of numbers. I've been able to do this before with no problem by
    using Replace to replace "-" with nothing. But now for some reason Excel
    can't find the dashes. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong before I pull
    out my remaining hair.

    Thanks,

    NH

  2. #2
    NH
    Guest

    Addendum...

    Columns A, B and C were totaled together in column D. Column D is the one I
    can't remove the dash from. I CAN remove the dashes from other columns with
    numbers, so it's only a problem with D. I suspect I need to get rid of
    those green triangles in the upper left corner of the cells, but I don't
    know how to do that.

    NH

  3. #3

    Re: Addendum...

    When you select a cell that has the dashes you can't get rid of, what do you see
    in the formulabar?

    I'm wondering if it's the number format (Format|cells|number category) that's
    just displaying the dashes--maybe those dashes aren't really part of the cell's
    value.

  4. #4
    NH
    Guest

    Re: Addendum...

    > When you select a cell that has the dashes you can't get rid of, what do
    > you see
    > in the formulabar?

    I see "=SUM(F11:H11)" or whatever letter/number corresponds to the
    row/column.

    > I'm wondering if it's the number format (Format|cells|number category)
    > that's
    > just displaying the dashes--maybe those dashes aren't really part of the
    > cell's
    > value.

    I know that they're supposed to be negative numbers. Column A consists of
    negative numbers and I added columns A, B and C together, which created
    negative totals in column D. But now I just want to remove those dashes in
    D so that they don't display as negative numbers. I know there's a simple
    answer for this, having to do with the formatting or something.

    Thanks for the help.

    NH

  5. #5
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Addendum...

    If they are negative numbers and you want them to be positive you can
    use this formula in D1:

    =ABS(SUM(A1:C1)) or =ABS(A1+B1+C1)

    whichever formula you use to sum A B and C together.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  6. #6
    NH
    Guest

    Re: Addendum...

    I want the totals in column D to remain as they are. I simply want to
    remove the dash in those numbers so that a tax program of mine doesn't see
    them as negative numbers.

    Sorry if I misunderstood your suggestion--I'm very new to Excel. Thanks for
    the reply.

    NH

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    NH
    Guest

    Re: Find & Replace--Solved

    So after wasting hours on this, I simply saved the sheet, closed it, and
    opened it again. The green corners in the column cells are now gone and I
    can find and replace the dash with no problem. There HAD to be another
    simple way to do this.