bizarre launching

  1. #1
    curmudg45
    Guest

    bizarre launching

    When I launch Excel it seems to be attempting to open a bunch of files
    that are not XLS files. Some are Publisher files, some are graphics and
    others are txt. Of course, it cannot read the files and I have to sit
    hear hitting cancel twenty times. This happens if I start the program
    only or double click an XLS file. All the unintended files open as
    garbage ascii.

    Any help greatly appreciated. I have received much assistance from some
    of the other ms sites.

  2. #2

    Re: bizarre launching

    Check under
    tools|options|general tab|
    look for the "at startup, open all files in:" box and erase anything you find
    there--in the box--not in that actual folder.

    In earlier versions of excel, that box was labeled "alternate startup file
    location" (or something like that).

  3. #3
    curmudg45
    Guest

    Re: bizarre launching

    Bless you. The fabulous newgroups strike again!!
    Now I just have to figure out how that got there.
    But that is not a problem I'm posting. I am sure it is the flying
    phlanges syndrome.

    thanks again

  4. #4

    Re: bizarre launching

    You can always blame the kids--or the cat???