Importing text file, only option to edit existing file

  1. #1
    smokey99
    Guest

    Importing text file, only option to edit existing file

    I have imported a text file into an excel sheet.
    Now I want to import more data to the same sheet, without changing the
    existing data.

    I have done this many times in the past, but now I only have the option of
    editing existing text file.

    Have I changed a setting somehow?

    How can I get back to being able to import multiple text data files into a
    sheet?

    Thanks
    Scott

  2. #2
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Importing text file, only option to edit existing file

    "smokey99" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have imported a text file into an excel sheet.
    > Now I want to import more data to the same sheet, without changing the
    > existing data.
    >
    > I have done this many times in the past, but now I only have the option of
    > editing existing text file.
    >
    > Have I changed a setting somehow?
    >
    > How can I get back to being able to import multiple text data files into a
    > sheet?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Scott

    I'm using Excel 2000, and I've never seen the ability to open a text file
    into an existing sheet. The newly opened text file must be cut & pasted into
    an existing sheet. What exact steps (menu clicks) do you recall taking in
    the past, in order to "import more data to the same sheet"?

  3. #3
    smokey99
    Guest

    Re: Importing text file, only option to edit existing file

    HI Doug,
    I am using 2003
    Normally, with a sheet open, I select > Data>Import external data>import
    data> then drill to the txt file, I want.

    Now, the import data is not highlighted and unavailable, only the "edit text
    import" & "data range properties" are available

    Thanks
    Scott

  4. #4
    smokey99
    Guest

    Re: Importing text file, only option to edit existing file

    OK, I just figured out this only happens when the original text file is
    stored in the "My data sources" folder.
    Text files imported from other folders don't seem to have this problem.
    Thanks
    Scott

  5. #5
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Importing text file, only option to edit existing file

    Good! I was about to write back and say that I'm mystified, since my version
    isn't exactly like yours.

  6. #6
    smokey99
    Guest

    Re: Importing text file, only option to edit existing file

    Well now you know :-)

    Thanks for the effort Doug, have a good one
    Scott

  7. #7
    smokey99
    Guest

    RE: Importing text file, only option to edit existing file

    Dang, thought it was fixed, but same problem again.

    May reboot the PC and see whats up.

  8. #8
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Importing text file, only option to edit existing file

    "smokey99" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dang, thought it was fixed, but same problem again.
    >
    > May reboot the PC and see whats up.

    There's only one remaining explanation: Satan.

    :-)

  9. #9

    Uncheck save query definition

    I ran into this same problem yesterday and too was baffled. I finally found that if I unchecked the "Save query definition" option in the External Data Range Properties box (accessed by clicking on the Properties button in the Import Data box you see after clicking on the Finish button in the Import External Data wizard), I could import data from another text file (the import data option wasn't grayed out anymore). Hope this helps.