More than 3 conditions for formatting

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Denmark
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365

    More than 3 conditions for formatting

    I want my cells to turn
    red if I enter "FAIL"
    yellow if I enter "EVAL"
    green if I enter either "OK" or "NA"
    The standard setup for conditional formatting gives me only 3 choices and no possibility to make one of the conditions a logical expression, but I can't believe that such strict limitations really apply.

    Isn't there a way to add more conditions?

    NSV

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    You are limited to 3 choices, or 4 if you count the colour the cell is if none of the criteria is met, if you search this site there are macros which give you as many choices as you could wish.

    However if you only wish to do what you said wanting 2 values to turn it green and the cell you are intersted in is c6, go to conditional formatting choose formula and add the following

    =OR(C6="OK",C6="NA")

    and choose to make the cells green!

    If it does not work check that excel has not added quotes around everything

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: More than 3 conditions for formatting

    You can actually have 4 values, as there is always a default value, one that
    doesn't adhere to the 3 specified conditions.

    And you can use a logical expression in CF, just change Condition 1 to
    Formula Is.

    You could use worksheet_change events to manage more than 3 conditions, if
    you want to go that way.

    And finally, you could try this free add-in
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Denmark
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365
    The 4th default condition is trivial; actually I have more than 4 different situations, but as far as I can see it is possible only to select 3 different reactions (plus the do-nothing-default), in casu background color, unless I turn to macro'ing or the add-in Bob suggests - thanks for that tip, I shall have to look into that.

    Anyway, the "Formula is" solution with an OR expression works just fine until now, so thanks a lot.

    NSV