Selective data transfer to other columns

  1. #1
    Tom Cular
    Guest

    Selective data transfer to other columns

    Any help is surely appreciated.

    I have a sheet where col.a represents expenses, col. b represents numericaly
    coded reasons for the expense ie: 1,2,3 - owner request, error, unforseen
    conditions etc.with a legend shown elsewhere.
    I would like to enter the reason code in b1 and have the value of a1
    transfered to the appropriate reason column on row 1.

    Thanks for any assistance,

    Tom

  2. #2

    I think I got yah

    I think I know what you want!

    Create a table (maybe your legend) with your codes in the left column, and the reason in the right column. Name the table range "legend".

    In your A1 cell, in your example, use:

    =IF(B1<>"",VLOOKUP(B1,legend,2,FALSE),"")

    Floodfill this in column A, and you can type your codes in column B...then A will display the reason once the code is typed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cular

  3. #3
    Tom Cular
    Guest

    Re: Selective data transfer to other columns

    Thanks Kevin,

    It's not quite what I need. I need to copy the values from the expense
    column to other colums similar to below

    LEGEND 1 Owner Request
    2 Error
    3 Unknown conditions

    Expense Reason Owner Request Errors Unkn. Cond.
    $5,000 1 $5,000
    $1,000 1 $1,000
    $2,850 3 $2,850
    $10,000 2 $10,00
    $5,000 3 $5,000

    I sure appreciate any assistance you can offer.

    Tom

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    aha

    I didn't quite get it until I was ready to reply, and hit "quote". That made the columns line up better!

    So Column A would be the expense....check
    Column B is your code....check
    Column C is your first reason, D your second, etc.

    Row one is your header, so in cell A2 is your first expense. Let's say $5000.00

    In B2 you would type in your code. Say you type "1".

    In C2, use =IF(B2=1,A2,"") in D2 use =IF(B2=2,A2,""), etc. You can then flood-fill the rows with the formula once the columns are complete.

    Cell C2 will display $5000.00, and all others in row 2 will be blank.

    I am pretty sure that's it this time! uh....maybe? :-)

    [QUOTE=Tom Cular]Thanks Kevin,

  5. #5
    Tom Cular
    Guest

    Re: Selective data transfer to other columns

    Thanks a lot Kevin, that was it.

    Tom

    "kevindmorgan" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...