how do i use 'if' command to display answer in different cell?

  1. #1
    Fred Far
    Guest

    how do i use 'if' command to display answer in different cell?

    I'm doing a tick sheet type spreadsheet.
    I want to hide the formula in one cell check for a true or false with the IF
    command and display in a different cell. I can get it to display in formula
    sell, but because of the amount of different varriables in the tick sheet i
    cant just put the formula in the answer cell.

    i' looking for something like this: =IF(D3="x",4.34,1)
    so if D3 had a x in it, the formula cell would show 4.34, otherwise 1. this
    works but i want to display answer in another cell. i thought this would work
    but it does not : =IF(D3="x",AA3=4.34,1) so answer would be displayed in
    AA3.

    Can anyone help, thanks.

  2. #2

    cross reference

    Why not just reference the formula cell in the destination cell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Far

  3. #3
    Fred Far
    Guest

    Re: how do i use 'if' command to display answer in different cell?

    how do you mean? sorry im new to this but know some basics.

    if you mean put the formula in the destination cell, then no i cant, it wont
    work for what i want to do. there will be a choice of 25 different answers
    for the row and depending where the x is, will depend on the answer.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: how do i use 'if' command to display answer in different cell?

    On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:49:27 -0800, Fred Far <Fred
    [email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm doing a tick sheet type spreadsheet.
    >I want to hide the formula in one cell check for a true or false with the IF
    >command and display in a different cell. I can get it to display in formula
    >sell, but because of the amount of different varriables in the tick sheet i
    >cant just put the formula in the answer cell.
    >
    >i' looking for something like this: =IF(D3="x",4.34,1)
    >so if D3 had a x in it, the formula cell would show 4.34, otherwise 1. this
    >works but i want to display answer in another cell. i thought this would work
    >but it does not : =IF(D3="x",AA3=4.34,1) so answer would be displayed in
    >AA3.
    >
    >Can anyone help, thanks.

    You cannot accomplish this with a function.

    A function can only return a value.

    Perhaps if you explain in more detail exactly what it is you are trying to
    accomplish, we can devise a solution.

    >but because of the amount of different varriables in the tick sheet i
    >cant just put the formula in the answer cell.

    Why not?

    --ron

  5. #5
    Fred Far
    Guest

    Re: how do i use 'if' command to display answer in different cell?

    Thanks, now i know i cant get the IF command to display answer else where, i
    have re-worked it slightly different and got what i want.

    Many thanks for all your help!

  6. #6
    Fred Far

  7. #7