ordering

  1. #1

    ordering

    I have 3 columns as shown in attached sheet. This is the start of a large sheet,column 1 shows the first 4 events .
    There are a series of scores for each event in cols 2 and 3. I need the following cols 4 and 5. In col 4 print the rank order of the scores for first event from col 2,highest is 1 , 2nd highest is 2 etc. Similairly in col 5 I want the rank order printed for the scores in col3.

    There are about 700 events,some have up 20 rows.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: ordering

    Check out the RANK worksheet function.

    Syntax

    RANK(number,ref,order)

    Number is the number whose rank you want to find.

    Ref is an array of, or a reference to, a list of numbers. Nonnumeric values
    in ref are ignored.

    Order is a number specifying how to rank number.

    If order is 0 (zero) or omitted, Microsoft Excel ranks number as if ref were
    a list sorted in descending order.

    If order is any nonzero value, Microsoft Excel ranks number as if ref were a
    list sorted in ascending order.

  3. #3
    Thanks,I can do this for the first event but don't know how to get the sheet to go onto the 2nd event,I want to be able to autofill down for hundreds of events

  4. #4
    bigwheel
    Guest

    Re: ordering

    If your data was in, say, cells A1 to A100 then the formula would be (in B1)
    =RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$100,1) A1 being the cell to be tested A1:A100 the range of
    values to get the order for. This formula then needs to be copied into B2
    and all the way down to B100