Can't lock down a defined name list - help!

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    Can't lock down a defined name list - help!

    I have an excel sheet that the first column contains drop downs to select a
    code from another tab. I used Insert / Name / Define to choose the list.

    I have tried to lock every cell and protect the sheet and every cell works
    fine except where I have the drop downs. What is odd is that even the drop
    down cells are locked on my Excel (2003) but when I email it to my client
    (uses Excel 2000) it is not locked and he can click the drop down and choose
    codes.

    Please help - thanks!

    -Steve

  2. #2

    Re: Can't lock down a defined name list - help!

    Protection changed its behavior in xl2003 (or was it in xl2002???).

    You have to unlock that cell in xl2003.

  3. #3
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Can't lock down a defined name list - help!

    What do you mean "have to unlock that cell in xl2003"? Its locked on my
    version (2003) but when I send it to my client its not locked on his version
    (2000).

    He wants to email that file to his customers but I can't afford for the
    protection to be hit or miss. How do I ensure that it is locked/protected in
    all versions from 2000 on?

    And why would it lock everything except that column (where the drop downs
    are)??? Is there something different I can do?

    Thanks!

  4. #4

    Re: Can't lock down a defined name list - help!

    I would guess that the cell is still locked in xl2k.

    But excel's behavior changed. In xl2k, cells with data|validation could change
    a locked cell. In xl2003, it can't.

    So you can just unlock those cells (format|Cells|Protection tab).

  5. #5
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Can't lock down a defined name list - help!

    But I need them locked.

    So is there no way to lock those cells in xl2k???

    Is there another way of doing a drop down list that would be able to be
    locked in xl2k?

    Thanks!

  6. #6

    Re: Can't lock down a defined name list - help!

    Doesn't your data|validation stop users from entering invalid data?

    Why would you need the cell locked if you have data|validation protecting it?

  7. #7

  8. #8