circular reference formula

  1. #1
    Abhi
    Guest

    circular reference formula

    Hi

    I have a formula with circular reference. When a I put any valur in any of
    these reference cells the formaula gets overwritten by the value. Is there
    any way that I can put values in any of these cells without overwriting the
    formuls to try various permutations. Below is the example:-

    Cell A B C
    500 10 2%
    Formula +C1*A1 B1/A1

    Cell B1 & C1 are having formula with cicular reference. What I am trying to
    get is that if I change the B1 value to 50 from 10, then C1 should
    automatically change to 10% & vice versa. OR If C1 is changed to 10% B1
    should change to 50 so that I can try as many combinationas possible.

    The problem here is that once i put "50" in B1 or "10%" in C1 the formula
    gets overwritten with the absolute value.

    Would be thank ful if anybody can suggest any solution for this?

    Regards
    Abhi

  2. #2
    Paul Lautman
    Guest

    Re: circular reference formula

    Abhi wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a formula with circular reference. When a I put any valur in
    > any of these reference cells the formaula gets overwritten by the
    > value. Is there any way that I can put values in any of these cells
    > without overwriting the formuls to try various permutations. Below is
    > the example:-
    >
    > Cell A B C
    > 500 10 2%
    > Formula +C1*A1 B1/A1
    >
    > Cell B1 & C1 are having formula with cicular reference. What I am
    > trying to get is that if I change the B1 value to 50 from 10, then C1
    > should automatically change to 10% & vice versa. OR If C1 is changed
    > to 10% B1 should change to 50 so that I can try as many combinationas
    > possible.
    >
    > The problem here is that once i put "50" in B1 or "10%" in C1 the
    > formula gets overwritten with the absolute value.
    >
    > Would be thank ful if anybody can suggest any solution for this?
    >
    > Regards
    > Abhi

    I have done a similar thing with Sin/Tan/Cos formulas and Pythagoras
    calculations.

    I use 2 rows, with answers in the second row (A2, B2, C2) being dependant on
    what cells are filled in the first row.

    The formulas are all in the second row and can be protected to ensure that
    they are not overtyped.
    I also format the cells A2, B2, C2 in bold red to indicate that they are
    calculated.
    Try entering formulas as follows and then enter data in either A1, B1, C1.
    In your case you will need to format C1 and C2 as Percentage with 0 decimal
    places.

    A2=IF(AND(B1<>"",C1<>""),B1/C1,"")
    B2=IF(AND(A1<>"",C1<>""),C1*A1,"")
    C2=IF(AND(A1<>"",B1<>""),B1/A1,"")

    If you really want to have only a single row of cells, then you could use a
    macro triggered by the worksheet_change event to update the values in the
    other 2 cells.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Paul Lautman

    Paul Lautman wrote:
    > Abhi wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have a formula with circular reference. When a I put any valur in
    >> any of these reference cells the formaula gets overwritten by the
    >> value. Is there any way that I can put values in any of these cells
    >> without overwriting the formuls to try various permutations. Below is
    >> the example:-
    >>
    >> Cell A B C
    >> 500 10 2%
    >> Formula +C1*A1 B1/A1
    >>
    >> Cell B1 & C1 are having formula with cicular reference. What I am
    >> trying to get is that if I change the B1 value to 50 from 10, then C1
    >> should automatically change to 10% & vice versa. OR If C1 is changed
    >> to 10% B1 should change to 50 so that I can try as many combinationas
    >> possible.
    >>
    >> The problem here is that once i put "50" in B1 or "10%" in C1 the
    >> formula gets overwritten with the absolute value.
    >>
    >> Would be thank ful if anybody can suggest any solution for this?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Abhi

    > I have done a similar thing with Sin/Tan/Cos formulas and Pythagoras
    > calculations.
    >
    > I use 2 rows, with answers in the second row (A2, B2, C2) being
    > dependant on what cells are filled in the first row.
    >
    > The formulas are all in the second row and can be protected to ensure
    > that they are not overtyped.
    > I also format the cells A2, B2, C2 in bold red to indicate that they
    > are calculated.
    > Try entering formulas as follows and then enter data in either A1,
    > B1, C1. In your case you will need to format C1 and C2 as Percentage
    > with 0 decimal places.
    >
    > A2=IF(AND(B1<>"",C1<>""),B1/C1,"")
    > B2=IF(AND(A1<>"",C1<>""),C1*A1,"")
    > C2=IF(AND(A1<>"",B1<>""),B1/A1,"")
    >
    > If you really want to have only a single row of cells, then you could
    > use a macro triggered by the worksheet_change event to update the
    > values in the other 2 cells.
    >
    > HTH

    Regarding the macro, if the value in A1 is changed (to say 1000) which of B1
    or C1 would you rather changed?

  4. #4
    Paul Lautman

    Paul Lautman wrote:
    > Paul Lautman wrote:
    >> Abhi wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I have a formula with circular reference. When a I put any valur in
    >>> any of these reference cells the formaula gets overwritten by the
    >>> value. Is there any way that I can put values in any of these cells
    >>> without overwriting the formuls to try various permutations. Below
    >>> is the example:-
    >>>
    >>> Cell A B C
    >>> 500 10 2%
    >>> Formula +C1*A1 B1/A1
    >>>
    >>> Cell B1 & C1 are having formula with cicular reference. What I am
    >>> trying to get is that if I change the B1 value to 50 from 10, then
    >>> C1 should automatically change to 10% & vice versa. OR If C1 is
    >>> changed to 10% B1 should change to 50 so that I can try as many
    >>> combinationas possible.
    >>>
    >>> The problem here is that once i put "50" in B1 or "10%" in C1 the
    >>> formula gets overwritten with the absolute value.
    >>>
    >>> Would be thank ful if anybody can suggest any solution for this?
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Abhi

    >> I have done a similar thing with Sin/Tan/Cos formulas and Pythagoras
    >> calculations.
    >>
    >> I use 2 rows, with answers in the second row (A2, B2, C2) being
    >> dependant on what cells are filled in the first row.
    >>
    >> The formulas are all in the second row and can be protected to ensure
    >> that they are not overtyped.
    >> I also format the cells A2, B2, C2 in bold red to indicate that they
    >> are calculated.
    >> Try entering formulas as follows and then enter data in either A1,
    >> B1, C1. In your case you will need to format C1 and C2 as Percentage
    >> with 0 decimal places.
    >>
    >> A2=IF(AND(B1<>"",C1<>""),B1/C1,"")
    >> B2=IF(AND(A1<>"",C1<>""),C1*A1,"")
    >> C2=IF(AND(A1<>"",B1<>""),B1/A1,"")
    >>
    >> If you really want to have only a single row of cells, then you could
    >> use a macro triggered by the worksheet_change event to update the
    >> values in the other 2 cells.
    >>
    >> HTH

    > Regarding the macro, if the value in A1 is changed (to say 1000)
    > which of B1 or C1 would you rather changed?

    If you want B1 to take precedence then this VBA code should do it:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    On Error GoTo ee
    Select Case Target.Address
    Case "$A$1", "$C$1"
    [b1].Value = [c1].Value * [a1].Value
    Case "$B$1"
    [c1].Value = [b1].Value / [a1].Value
    End Select
    ee:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    End Sub
    Alternatively if C1 is to take precedence then:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    On Error GoTo ee
    Select Case Target.Address
    Case "$C$1"
    [b1].Value = [c1].Value * [a1].Value
    Case "$A$1", "$B$1"
    [c1].Value = [b1].Value / [a1].Value
    End Select
    ee:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    End Sub

    Enjoy

  5. #5
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: circular reference formula

    You will need some VBA macro code (Worksheet_Change). Do you mind?

    AP

    news:[email protected]...